Thursday, June 25, 2009

MICHAEL JACKSON DEAD AT 50

I wasn't necessarily a Michael Jackson follower as far as music fannery goes. Indeed, he delivered some mighty and powerful music as he pierced the entertainment industry with remarkable talent. I am a Jackson fan in that he represents much of humanity; a person valuable to God.

I've held a special place in my heart for this man since I read a quote of his in an interview maybe 20 or 25 years ago. He said nobody wanted to be his good friend. Possibly several missed his statement. For one, I got it. Everyone wanted a connection to the pop singer (an autograph here and a photo there), but few would love him unconditionally for who he was; a plain and needy man. From the time of that interview I have grieved for him as his life surely displayed his loneliness in the midst of a crowded concert halls and stadiums.

As a side note it was reported Elizabeth Taylor rushed to be with him as he passed. I feel the same toward her; although we have never met. It made me think of her back surgery in New York two decades ago, at least. I read later she received over 5000 cards. Amazing. A few weeks later her secretary wrote me a note expressing Ms. Taylor's personal appreciation for the letter of encouragement I sent. She, too, is most likely a lonely lady in need of God's tenderness and mercy.

The biggest flashback in all of this is Jackson dying at UCLA Medical Center. That's where Curt Flood's wife asked me to meet her as Curt had taken ill in his final days. I was so fortunate to be with Curt in the last few hours of his life. It killed me to tell him good bye and head for LAX.

We must be connected to the Son of God in such a way, my estimation, to remember even those who appear to have it made carry incredible hunger to be loved and accepted as a part of a graced community. Many years back our church bought small ads in the Daily News and the Hollywood Reporter offering Bible studies by mail as well as a phone number. We had a slim amount of requests for the studies.

One day, though, a young woman called me with the initial introduction that she could not tell me who she was. She asked if we could just talk. She wanted to talk about the possibility God could be true. I was honored to have the talk.

What goes on with such occasions? No measurement of religious exercise. No charting of effective outreach. The assurance.....we encouraged one heart that day which may have never heard God loves the entire human race.....including her.

I wonder if it may be time to polish the ads and reach to this lonely industry once again. Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and now Michael. Surely their friends and admirers are crushed in heart. Maybe we could encourage just a bit without getting in their way.

5 comments:

Greg England said...

You have a heart like no one else I know, Terry. Thanks for this post. It would be so easy to trash MJ, but you reminded us of the vast opportunities for ministry!

Anonymous said...

Terry, on Friday October 5, 2007 I was walking through the lobby of the Gwinnett Arena at day 2 of the Catalyst conference. Having heard you speak for the first time in high school back in the 90's, I knew who you were. I had read your books, stolen your sermons and seen you at the Tulsa Workshop many times. Normally, I would have stopped and said hello and told you how much you had meant to me. But instead I was in a rush to get outside because I thought I was about to throw up. I had just gotten a text message that my deepest darkest sin had been exposed, and I knew that my life was about to fall apart and ministry would be no more. The last 2 years have been hell for me. However, I've gotten closer to heaven. No more lies. Just a broken man daily being restored by God's grace. God is even slowly allowing me to minister to his people again, and it's different on this side of grace. I've lost friends. Some have never forgiven me, and I still wonder if I've forgiven myself. For the actions, yes. For hurting others, well that's taking longer. I've had friends that I lost because of my deception and their hearts are too hurt to forgive. I've also had friends show me what amazing grace really is and they still see me and love me as the man they knew on October 4th. Over the last 2 years I've read your blog regularly. There have been days when I couldn't take it, because you were so upbeat and positive and that seemed so far away. But it's posts like this where I think, if I could ever sit down with Terry Rush, I know I would experience true grace. You're not the only one. But I'm so grateful for people like you. You're the real deal. Oh how we all need that grace community, forgiveness, love, acceptance. And you deliver so well. I hope I see you in a lobby again, somewhere, someday. Because I will stop and let you know, that your grace, even through a blog, is a connection to the grace of God that I need so much. Healing hurts. But grace enables. God bless you, brother.

j

Steve Puckett said...

Thanks Terry and thanks Greg England for sending me over here. Your post will be an excellent help for the sermon I am doing on Sunday on witness.
God's blessings and peace to you.

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous, you could have spoken for me, and I'm sure so many others. You have been in my prayers this morning, and God bless your healing and ministering to countless more.


-another "anonymous j"

Dusty Chris said...

Thanks for this post, excellent thoughts. Everyone has a story of how they got where they are and if we really look at our own story, it's probably not that different, but for the grace of God. MJ's story is sad, a tragic end to a dramatic life.