Saturday, June 27, 2009

GO AHEAD. CROWN ME KING.

I could be crowned king, you know. King of the baseball diamond? Nope. King of brain-power? Nah. King of insecurity? Ah....you got it. I don't know of anyone who has had to fight the demons of swimming around in the low-life of presumed uselessness than me. Not very kingly is it?

So let's address my/our insecurity. It is a mind game played solo. We don't need others to tell us how poor we are for we talk to ourselves all day long presenting proof positive. When others might chime in we regard them as only witnesses to the fact we already knew for we had rehearsed well the lousy traits of us. This would be known as stinkin' thinkin'.

We will arise from this dump of trashy self-talk when we absorb more of the mind of Christ. His is filled with mercy, love, and.......security. He knows how to do/be what we aren't; but his goal is to see that we become it.

Brennan Manning wrote a wonderful piece about this. In a less obvious sense, the hunger for security is mostly a matter of our emotional programming. My feelings of insecurity are not a necessary consequence of external circumstances (such as business recession) or the actions of other people. The power to achieve equanimity and stability lies within me. It is not at the mercy of whim, caprice, and unpredictable external forces. What keeps me feeling insecure are my addictive emotional needs, which must always be satisfied. When reality does not live up to my expectations, I become frustrated, angry, bitter, anxious, and resentful.

Whoops. Does Manning live inside my mind? No. I'm guessing he knows how to write such things because he is inside his own mind. How many of us are grateful for his insight?

The power to achieve equanimity and stability lies within me is a striking statement. If we grow in understanding that "the power" is the Holy Spirit/Mind of Christ, we shall be growing beyond insecurity. Once that happens, maybe we could be crowned king....of confidence....in God....II Cor. 3:4-5.

2 comments:

Janice Garrison said...

Very good post...Satan is the king of lies. Too often we roll over and believe each one. Then along come our insecurities.

John McCoy said...

It is such a challenge to find the balance between having a humble heart while not completely degrading yourself and holding confidence without being puffed up by pride. It all goes back to God, though, right? He's in control. Not me.

Now if I can only start living this out.