Sunday, March 08, 2009

SELF-CONTROL: HOW TO LIFT THE BURDENS

How many of you know that self-control is a fruit of the Spirit? Strange don't you think? Is God indicating if we will yield control to Him we will get it back? As is true of many other things, so it is here with this one. Self-control is a pure part of His work in us...from us...through us...with us.

My old nature was one of no backbone. It is a miracle I have survived the church.....and that it has survived me! I had no grit; no confidence to stand alone if necessary. I moved with the herd and made intentional effort to move with the most popular faction of it. However, ministry with God won't allow one to move with the popular. Jesus warns against having men speak well of you; yet we wilt if some do.

I once would say "No" to some asking me to serve in areas and they would talk me into it. I couldn't bear to stand alone with my decision. Now, I've learned to say no. But it isn't just saying no to others that I have had to learn. I have had to learn to say no to so many good opportunities which come my way. Simplicity is a good thing.

Our minds are terribly divided over so many interests....so many. We will want to keep working on the fruit of self-control to affect our walk and talk so we can weed out the many unnecessary out-of-control-works we find ourselves involved in. Self-control is what God hands back once we yield to His Spirit.

1 comment:

Pat Thacker said...

I truly enjoyed this post!
Numbers 6:24~26