Saturday, March 28, 2009

MAYBE I SHOULDA SEEN IT COMING?

As you know this is Tulsa Workshop week. My job? Direct it. What a privilege. It began Wednesday evening and the final lot of folks depart after services tomorrow morning. My sermon in the morning regards "Reaction"; how we react to difficult situations is as important as how we take action in courageous works.

So here's where I've had my "reactionary skill" tested:
  • Wednesday night's guest speaker's plane was delayed three times and instead of arriving 5:30 as scheduled he made it here at 8:30....one hour past when he was to speak.
  • In the midst of taking calls of updates from him from DFW, I am told that in the process of feeding hundreds of guests we are out of food....and I'm assumed to be the one who will do something about it. I've never had that happen to me before.
  • We needed to raise $48,000+ to pay for the event and we raised $35,000.
  • The weather is neurotic and the forecasts are moreso. It's rained hard and long. Yesterday we were hearing six inches of snow for today. Some in the herd were beginning to panic. Then the forecast shifted to a Saturday morning of one inch of slush. Ah, we'll be fine.

As I write this blog we have a snow storm on our hands. The prediction is 2-4 inches The people from the South are frightful and from the North are going "what snow"?

So, here I am working on a sermon on reaction. I've had plenty of practice so far. I shoulda seen it coming.

5 comments:

Donna said...

You should have seen it coming! Kind of like praying for patience with a kids at summer camp...you know your "patience test" is coming! Love ya and wish we were their to react! : )

patti said...

Holding you up in prayer for tomorrow's sermon, raising the rest of the money, reacting like Jesus would, and getting some rest... GIGATTAATTGIG!!!

Anonymous said...

2 to 4 inches, and we got 7.

Phew!

Brian H. said...

Hi Terry,

I appreciate your hard work. I wish the Tulsa Workshop had an endowment that people could contribute to or put in their wills. I really wish I could help a PRSOP/CCE brother out.

Hope to meet you one day,
Brian H.

Patrick Mead said...

I had a great time at the Workshop and at Memorial Drive, Terry. Thank you for all the hard work you put into this and for sharing your pulpit with me. It is an honor to be associated with this great work.

And I think the storm just made more memories. It certainly didn't kill the enthusiasm!