Thursday, October 09, 2008

IS GOD ON SPEAKING TERMS WITH US?

What is the truth about whether Christians hear from God? Do we? Is that another thing we are supposed to believe faded after the First Corinthians' 13 "perfect has come" statement? Were only the early church guys the ones included in the Good Wine of church and now we get the bad stuff? I don't think so.

From study of the scriptures, I do believe God approached some things in the early part He doesn't use now. His manner of communication would be one of those topics. But to hear some conjecture, God has either run out of words for now or has gone mute; He just doesn't say things today. For us, we are supposed to read our Bible.

I don't think so. The Bible will always be our guide to the heart and mind of God. However, the Word is that Truth which insists we will have knowledge of love due to the Holy Spirit which surpasses knowledge (Eph. 3:19). The Bible is that which says if we lack wisdom pray for it (James 1:5) and it will come down from above (James 3:17). These and other verses awaken us to the truth that communication is a volley between earth and heaven. I believe God is on speaking terms with His flock.

One of the things I have grown to enjoy is hearing from God. I don't hear audible words. I really don't know how to describe communication from Him because it is spiritual. The only way I know how to talk about it at this point in my relationship with Him is to say He gives me ideas. They aren't contrary to His Word. Often, His communication is in response to what I have been seeking in prayer.

From experience I can say I am continually learning to listen more. He gives me ideas as well as confirmation. I hear Him speak in other's prayers when I'm in their group. I hear Him speak through songs at church and on the radio. I hear Him through commentators regarding news who may be making one point but God quickens my spirit about another. Finally, the part of learning exchangive dialog from here to There is what He perpetually does to open me to His Word. He makes the Bible dance in my heart. It explodes with insight as well as enthusiasm for it.

Does God communicate to us? I think so and I think He loves the relationship which is on speaking terms. One of my favorite memories while doing some work with Loretta Lynn one week in Branson was how much she leaned on Jeremiah 33:3, Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. Call. God will do more than answer. He will tell you profound wonders you did not know.

5 comments:

Zack said...

Hi Terry,

I don't feel like I've gotten a grasp completely on how the Spirit works in us. While I don't think people prophecy as in the 1st century, I am convinced the Spirit works in at least some of the ways that you talked about; however, at the same time I'm not entirely able to differentiate between what is the Spirit's working and my very naturally emotional and almost never still imagination. I'm sure He also works in us in ways that are completely under our radar, but other times I'm just left guessing. Things like love that isn't able to be grasped by rationality are certain to be from the Spirit and nowhere else, but some others I'm just not always certain about, like getting ideas and such. Actually, in my first years as a Christian I followed a few disappointing "urges" that were neutral in regard to what scripture commands that turned out to be quite not the Spirit's leading. However, certainly if the Spirit is working on us He'll be affecting the thing that is most "us" -our hearts, minds, and thought patterns. And I have experienced the quickening that seems to happen at certain times when it is needed; but as you said, none of these stand alienated from what scripture has said; and none of these times do I receive something my eyes didn't run across in scripture. The Spirit is working powerfully in Christians, even to help them think in spiritual terms, but like you I don't think the Spirit is working in the same way is it did in the prophets who spoke God's word verbatim (unless I misunderstood you). In my understanding and experience the Spirit seems to be more of a personal helper that helps us to stand on God's word in a way that would be impossible for us without the Spirit.

Liz Moore said...

That is kind of scary that we both posted today on God speaking to us! :) Obviously I think God must be trying to tell me something! I hope I'm listening carefully. Love you friend!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post today Mr. Rush. I am exactly at this point in my walk with trying to understand how God speaks to us. In the past, I've been a bit leery of people saying things like "God told me...", or "the Spirit lead me...". I'm not so sure now.

I completely understand that it's not so much in words, i.e. a big, deep "God-voice" barreling out some revelation. But rather, a clarity and accuity of mind, emotion, and Spirit to "see" and "hear" things from a different plane. It's scary, and sometimes very lonely feeling, yet so very exhilirating.

Now a question of opinion I'd like your perspective on. A struggle I have at this time in my life is the appropriateness of whether or not to address the Holy Spirit in my prayers. I've heard the consistent case, which I believe is well founded, that there is little or no example of such in Scripture, and that indeed our prayers should strictly be addressed to God the Father; and that there is a small possibility of it being appropriate to address prayers directly to Jesus. I accept the fact of scripture plainly.

However, my personal experience begs to differ. At times that I feel most taxed and tempted to rely on my own abilities to go forth (it sometimes feels like Satan is literally tugging on me), I will address the Spirit directly, asking for His fruit and the promises of comfort and peace the he administers.

It's impossible to explain the near instant peace, calm, and repose that come upon me, and the renewal I feel so immediately, as I encounter those times and lift those prayers. I certainly cannot believe those experiences to be of Satan. Yet, I can find no example of anything in scripture to support this practice, and am left wondering if this is an appropriate means of addressing God.

Most folks in my circle are ones to have a solid opinion, and their minds made up about such a question. I'm unfulfilled in seeking guidance in this regard. And I have not yet found resolution as to my own comfort with the practice, or sharing it with others. Hence, I seek your opinion please.

Thanks again for an encouraging post.

Terry Rush said...

Zack, your "I'm sure He also works in us in ways that are completely under our radar" is a phrase I will use (And take credit as if I thought of it first!) Kidding. Good thought.

Lizabeth....strange indeed.

Anonymous, I'm beginning to feel the life of Ann Landers! Kidding again.

I don't know the answer. And what do we do when we don't know the answer? We take longer to speak as if we do! So, let me begin.

I'm with you on hearing others warn not to address the H.S. I don't know how the Trinity wishes us to regard this question. Surely when we pray to the Father, the other two are listening in. I know the H.S. is because He translates our prayers...Rom. 8:26. I seek God in prayer, but talk to the other two as friends during my day. The Father is only in spirit form and His Spirit is Holy....so sort that out.

As I said, I don't know the answer. My guestimate is that it not illegal to address the Spirit. I might be wrong. I appreciate you seeking Him as well as His will on this. He will guide you.

tim rush said...

a new wrinkle for us, here, is trying to let the Holy Spirit lead us as a body and not just on an individual basis. This makes for some really fun assemblies together. (and to be honest, some duds too... but I think those come when we try too hard and get in the way.)