Wednesday, October 01, 2008

BIG DEBT

The House met. Now the Senate meets. America has problems. Can government fix this? Will their strategy work? The truth is we are in over our heads in big debt. This is not the first time our nation has faced huge odds; but this is certainly one too big to explain, define, or easily correct.

Congress has its hands full; but nothing like us. We find ourselves dealing with the enormity of debt. Elders, deacons, staff, and friends are pelted by devastating problems found in those all around us. Homes divided. Children confused. Beliefs challenged. Pressures mount. And, future blurred. Yes, congress has been called to work the extra mile but nothing like what the church puts in week in and week out.

Can the church fix her problems? I don't think so. A few yes. Most, I doubt it. So what is our approach? Do we turn a blind eye and deaf ear to man's dismantlement? Or, do we "do something" even if it's wrong? There is a third alternative and the more I work with us the more I lean this direction. We must keep loving everyone, as Jesus did, trusting God to work on hearts.

Jesus loved. But what does that mean? I saw him believe in a woman at a well when no one else did and that approach won a town. I saw him notice a little squat of a man up in a tree and treat him with such respect the guy couldn't wait to adjust his style. Jesus loved and when he did he put confidence in people that they could be all right. Few had told them this. These sinners had never encountered a person like this. What they didn't know is they had run into God in beard and sandals.

So it is with us. I like the routine of church. But I find myself especially juiced when I encounter the self-assumed no-good. This is a special moment (a perfect opportunity) for them to find out something they may have never heard before; someone believes they are important. Don't assume many around you don't need to know this. I think they do. When they run into you at the water cooler or on the elevator, may they walk away discovering the wonder of themselves because you noticed.

No comments: