Tuesday, July 22, 2008

SOW SEED LIKE CRAZY

I wouldn’t plant a lot of okra. Let me rephrase that; I wouldn't plant any okra. Stewed or scalloped, fried or boiled, I don’t like or want okra. I would plant a lot of friendship. I like friends.

I’m wowed. I live where many of you dream to live. Some of you got there before I did. The good news is you will live there, eventually, if you haven’t yet reached that stage of feeling productive right now. What’s neat is we all know how to get to the location in life we thoroughly enjoy. It’s a Bible truth which will not be denied: what we sow we reap. Therefore, sow kingdom seed like crazy. Let it get into everything you think about, talk about, do. Sow seed, good seed, and crops of that seed will appear. Crops are much more than seed sown. You know that.

I plant crops in increments of years. Sowing seed now for what can become in ten, twenty, and thirty years is slow at first; but excitingly productive later. I’ve been doing this for….years and years. It actually begins to live with compound interest. God is faithful to His promise. I am not without distress and frustration over how to do certain tasks, etc. However, I am overjoyed at His working well beyond ways I had dreamed but could not produce on my own.

The seed I believe we should sow is the same as Jesus. Love people. Nothing more. First and foremost because we love God, we love people.

The First Corinthians 13 stuff comes into direct play as to where to sow the seed. Love people without calculating what they will do for you. Love people when they are bull-headed stinkpots. Love people when they don’t love themselves. Love people when they can’t pay you back. Love people when others want to discard them. Love people when they oppose you. Love people as they kill your reasons for trying to love them. Love people you don’t know. Love people. Love people who give you quotes on jobs. Love people who are entering your marketplace. Love people. Love the divorced. Love the married. Love gay people, brilliant people, lonely and forgotten people, working people, plain people, complaining people, and interrupting people. Love the stable as well as the moody. Love all people.

Sow your love into others just as Jesus did into you. Lean into society by blending the Holy Spirit’s fruit into their systems. Assume the best. Hope the most. Anticipate success. Await victory. The words “will reap” are His at the conclusion of “sow”.

Plant a lot, my friend. Plant a lot of love in others. It will come back at you in crops full. What you sow in seed comes back in tons. Get going!

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

I just love you. Just thought you should know. :)

Brenda said...

I was recently accused of something...."knowing EVERYONE"
Actually, Chad has told me during our entire marriage the same thing. Everywhere we go, I see someone I know. Doesn't even have to be in this state.
I find it very humorous! And it is also something that I don't take lightly. I've been planting these crops for as long as I can remember. I like it. No..I LOVE IT! I love people. I love to be around people. I love to meet new people! You never know what will happen in your life when your crop begins to grow and take over.
The seeds of love that I planted 20 years ago are the most rewarding crops I have today! And even today, I continue to plant love everywhere I go.
My wish would be that people see in me a kind of love they want in themsleves and they will start plating seeds of their own.
Love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Brother Terry,
As a farmer, I have just completed my harvest about an hour ago. I was intrigued by your title. Love is the ultimate seed. One little overlooked fact that can make a great blog (and I should use this is) sowing seeds should produce much more than you sow. If it didn't I wouldn't sow the seeds in the first place. You don't reap what you sow...you reap much more than you sow!
God Bless