Monday, July 07, 2008

ON A MISSION?

Those who were claiming to be devoted followers of Jesus had a glitch in their thinking. They thought in terms of victory and success. Of course Jesus is both the Victory and the Success. Yet, such was a stumbling block to his disciples because they didn’t realize the scope included in such a trek. They clearly missed the importance of pain and suffering. These did not register on their radar.

When Jesus first told he must suffer and be killed, Peter had one big hissy-fit. No way, Jose’! These in-the-loop rascals couldn’t get it into their thick skulls Jesus was paving the road to heaven via a treacherous wooden cross. Dying to live didn’t seem to be rational or feasible.

Has much changed? A well-meaning and envious friend (who thought I had it made) said to me years ago when I had been at Memorial a couple of years, “I wish I could find a church that wanted to grow.” I didn’t comment. But I wanted to say, “Friend, I do too.” “I wish I could find one that didn’t have so many who wanted to kill me.” But I didn’t. I know what he was saying and the good intent behind it. He no longer preaches, but he still serves in a mighty way.

For those of you wishing you could find a church that wants to grow, you are in one wherever you are. Growth comes by finding someone(s) who will take the treacherous-wooden-cross road and not question why. A great many who deeply desire to be leaders will never become such because they have misunderstood the truth that victory and success come by dying. However, a great many who didn’t intend to be leaders will become such because they were simply doing their job in forgetting themselves and leadership will be handed over from above.....as promised.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

appreciate this blog terry.

Dr. C. D. PhD Pontificates said...

Sacrifice is the key issue to church growth. Until more in the church are willing to feel a little pain (surrendering to go out of their way to do what they normally would not do).

To sit back and expect the church will grow around my pew is what I've termed "stinken thinken." We must be willing to sacrifice for our Lord. He gave it all, we need to give a little more than we have been.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Terry.