Friday, June 20, 2008

WRETCHED---NOBODY---CHIEFEST OF SINNERS

Last Sunday I preached that three descriptions Paul labeled upon himself are the exact three titled above. Paul is convinced of something absolutely pertinent as a leader in God's outrageous kingdom. All of His servants who should be so fortunate to find themselves in a leading role in the church are to be certain each is absolutely, undeniably a zero.

This is most challenging to a society as America's. We thrive on the opposite: spectacular, somebody, and better-than-the-other saints. I believe it's true we would ever so carefully try to cover such blatant obnoxivity with humility. Yet, we are sneaky little creatures and we have a way of showing back up for more "praise-be-to-me" air.

I have a host of friends who would die for me...er, well would at least tell me they are sorry if I really needed help. I do have a multitude of dear and treasured friends. They are everywhere. And the other side of the coin is I have a few who don't like me. Each has their favorite reason and several have selected such a stance because of me: I, as Paul, am purely a wretched nobody who is to be labeled the chiefest among all sinners. This is the only area of spirituality I out do Paul.

Strangely and sadly, my enemies have a better perception of me than my adoring associates. I am a zero. Encouragingly, this is my secret: I know it. I'm not sure if others ought to feel the same extreme way. Paul didn't say. But I get him. I get what he was saying. I love, love, love being a part of God's system. My only ticket in is the name of Jesus as any other credentials I might think worthy have long fallen in the sewer.

God is to be glorified....every moment of every day! His patience cannot be measured! His love cannot be fathomed!

1 comment:

drjimwhite said...

Thanks, Terry. As preachers, not unlike quarterbacks on a football team, we get way too much credit for things that happen. The flip side is we get way too much criticism for the bad things, also. With my recent experiences with the Boy Scout tragedies, my prayer has been, "God, I don't care how foolish I look, just be glorified." Thanks for your words.