Saturday, January 19, 2008

TALKING GOD'S LANGUAGE

Check with young mothers. Mommy, I poo-poo. Mommy, I hungwy. Mommy, wherwes my blanky? Mommy, can I go owtside? Mommy, can I come in? Mommy, can I go in and owt? Mommy...mommy...mommy!?!? Oh how Mommy loves it when a grown up drops by or Daddy gets home from work to have grown-up discussions for just a little while. Just talk big talk, that's all she asks!

How do you speak to God? Baby talk or grown up? Is it, God, I poo-poo, God I hungwy so-to-speak? Or, is it God-talk: trying to pray working from His standpoint and tapping into His supply house?

I encourage you God loves a good challenge. Due to our prayers, when does He ever get to flex His God-muscles? When does He get to show His stuff? Could it be we talk baby talk incessantly to Him? Could it be we pray with our view of possibility as the prayer's boundary? I think we have small-prayed so long we have forgotten His call to just try to imagine. Dream when you pray.

I remind you He said He could do more than we can imagine or think. Therefore, pray beyond your assumption and realm of your own imagination. Thrust your prayers into your highest possible imagination and expect God to respond exceedingly beyond that. I think we pray too low. Let's begin to talk God's language giving Him opportunity to show His robust and creative powers.

5 comments:

Stoogelover said...

Wow!! Thanks, Terry. I just wrote a LONG email to a friend about some of this very subject matter, though from a different perspective. When I read your blog, it just hit me as "Wow!!"

Anonymous said...

this is just how God works with us! This morning I just told God that I know I dream huge when praying and that I might push him - but I so totally believe that HE is capable of doing things in my life and family that are huge and unimaginable to most people!
Guess what - I love you today!
Enjoy baseball camp

Shane Coffman said...

Great thoughts, Terry. Too often I'm asking Him to simply remove the shell from some measly peanut, while forgetting that the whole farm is at His disposal.

Tammy said...

I love it when the Spirit reveals a thread of God's thought and it is connected to person after person. I have heard the same message in different flavors several times over the past week. Can't wait to see Him do His stuff :) Love you, Terry!

Anonymous said...

Once again: Amen, T-man. Amen.

I heard a man once preach , "Your God is too small."

I "amened" him too. And then I realized...

MY God is also too short, too bald, too old, too immature, too religious, too fragile, too petty, too judgmental, too mean, too weird, and just too plain DUMB.

And I talked to Him that way - so that he could understand what I' was saying, and so that I would know what I could expect from him. It was a cozy relationship - though a waste of both of our time.

For this reason, I prefer the "real" God to MINE...and now will try to talk to him as He REALLY is.

I think it was the great Marshall Keeble who first said, "God isn't dead...he isn't even sick."

If this is true...then there's really no need to whisper when approaching Him.