Thursday, January 17, 2008

RANDOM STUFF....BUT IMPORTANT

CHARLIE KYMES IS A GREAT PREACHER. He works with Tulsa's Crosstown congregation and I heard him preach Joy Keesee's funeral today. Charlie is the real deal. The reason? He passionately cares about people. The guy just seems to have a genuine sense of connecting God and people.


I'M HEADED TO MY ANNUAL CARDINALS BASEBALL CAMP IN FLORIDA NEXT WEEK. I did 80 flights on the StairMaster today, plus a few other little weights and stretches. Being age 60 changes a few things for me, baseball-wise. I no longer round the bag. I sneak up on it. Last year in the big game, when I came up to bat, the outfielders laid down! It gets worse! I have a DISHONORABLE MENTION: In two of the last three years I have won the No Where To Go But Up Award. Obviously the achievement is an intended insult. The award itself? An autographed picture of three Cubs players. I gave one to David Kellams and the other to Shawn Mayes.


THE TULSA SOUL WINNING WORKSHOP SCHEDULE is now posted on the workshop web. It's about 98% complete. Once again over 25% of the speakers are rookies. It's always good to see a new crop mixed in with the oldies but goodies. Thursday night's keynotes with PATRICK MEAD and JOSH GRAVES promises to be a great beginning for the evening events.


DON McLAUGHLIN is scheduled to be the evening speaker at Memorial's Workshop Wednesday.

5 comments:

Stoogelover said...

I'm really glad to see you have Patrick and Josh on the program. I think Patrick Mead is one of the rising stars in our brotherhood. Very intelligent, humble, loves the Lord, and brings people closer to God with his teaching and compassion. I hope he'll some day make it to Pepperdine as a speaker, even a keynote speaker.

Can't wait to hear your latest award from baseball camp.

Franklin Wood said...

Just wanted to "Amen" your Charlie Kymes comment.
When I was a knee-high boy, Charlie was preaching in Broken Arrow. My parents really took a liking to him.
Of course, they felt sorry that his jokes out of the pulpit always seemed to flop. To help out, they bought him a special gift for his birthday...a laugh machine!! The next Sunday he supplied his own laughs several times!

Wes said...

Patrick Mead and Josh Graves ... aren't they heretics?

Sounds like fun - I'll be there. :p

In all seriousness, I've been listening to Patrick's sermons online and reading his blog. Good stuff - can't wait.

Jimmy Mitchell said...

What a small world it is!! It has been a truly long time. I was back in Broken Arrow, another little sprout in class with Franklin, when Charlie was preaching there.

I now have moved on to Arkansas and am working as a youth minister at the Northside congregation in Benton. I work with Mike Knappier-the dad of Chad Knappier who works over at Crosstown with Charlie and Wayne. I recently moved from Marble Falls, Texas, where I worked alongside Jim Gardner (now preaching at Woodward Park in Fresno, CA) and one of your biggest fans, Allan Stanglin (now preaching at Legacy in Richland Hills, TX).

You may or may not remember me as the blonde headed brat during GCCA days! Wow that was ages ago!!

I sure am glad that I found your blog.

Terry Rush said...

Hello Jimmy Mitchell,

Of course I remember the blonde-headed little brat from BA!!!

Great to hear from you and that you are doing such wonderful work in Bentonville, AR.

Welcome to our blog world. Hope to be hearing from you again!

Blessings to you and yours.