Tuesday, September 11, 2007

MEMORIAL DRIVE ALIVE!

You gotta know I love this church where I get to attend. Of all things industriously exciting on earth, I never dreamed it could possibly be church! Who would have guessed? If one were to ask what best characterizes this family, variations of strengths could be offered: the Spirit, the warmth, the generosty. Maybe the worship experience?

My estimation is our heartfelt theme of A Place to Start Life Over. We live it, love it, and believe it. Richard came after experiencing a divorce and being away from God for over 20 years. He was invited and when he stepped toward the welcome mat at the door his very first Sunday he read, A Place to Start Life Over, and wondered if this might be for him. He is now one of our best Bible class teachers. Bill and his wife visited us on a Sunday morning and when he saw the sign printed across the canopy, A Place to Start Life Over, it struck him he was home. They have been with us ever since that first visit.

Gail was headed for another congregation. She had gone through some challenges and decided she needed to return to her roots and see if it wasn't about time to reconnect with God. She was on her way to another church and made a wrong turn. She passed by our drive and saw the sign, A Place to Start Life Over. She thought that sign was just for her and came on in. We were explaining we would be having baptism Sunday in three weeks and those interested were invited to a special class. She attended. She learned. She found we were truly A Place to Start Life Over as she was baptized into Christ that special Sunday and will celebrate her first year anniversary in a few weeks.

On and on the stories warm our hearts as broken and wounded ones enter in to His perfect joy of finding A Place to Start Life Over. When any of our lambs experience heavy difficulty and sin, we know what (and Who) we are about. We know that 70 x 7 backs this great theme. No one can be so broken in the sight of God they cannot be refurbished by the love of Christ. We are his body and we hope that when any come across us they get a sense they, too, can start life over....and over.....and over.

In a time when so many are broken down, disjointed, and disconnected, the church is in a perfect position to help our friends, neighbors, and even our enemies get a shot at starting life all over. Nicodemus thought it to be a strange concept. But it remains most needed.

That's my observation for where I attend. What's the striking trait for where you are?

7 comments:

Stoogelover said...

A great theme for a wonderful community of faith! And who better to teach them than Terry Rush!! You continue to encourage me so much ... thanks!

Cary said...

I had become a burned out wanderer after returning to Tulsa from a horrific ministry situation. I was sitting in bed with my laptop one night, pulled up Memorial's website and saw "A Place to Start Life Over." I knew immediately this was the provision of God and I was not wrong. Thank you for an amazing half a year before I moved on to grad school and now full time ministry. God truly started me over with the help of the community at Memorial.

Terry Rush said...

Cary,

I did not know this story. Thanks for sharing. You are awesome and I'm glad to learn we had a part in reenergizing your heart.

TREY MORGAN said...

Terry,

Just want you to know that I'm a regular "Cardinal Museum" reader. Don't comment every time, but I'm a regular reader. Thanks for taking the time to post things that make us think.

Anonymous said...

You wrote:

"In a time when so many are broken down, disjointed, and disconnected, the church is in a perfect position to help our friends, neighbors, and even our enemies get a shot at starting life all over."

I really like that language Terry. Thanks for leading your church in prophetic ways.

Anonymous said...

I never dreamed it could possibly be church that would be this exciting either! I attend a place that we call the "Open" church because that is the only sign we have. (it was left there by the restaurant that was previously housed in the spot) Our focus is to provide...for people who are broken and bruised..a place to rest and heal. I was at my most broken and bruised when I was invited. There I have found my footing with God again. There I have found a group of people that show their love like Jesus would. It is a place where this prodigal found open arms.

After growing up in church, I had been away for many years because of some shameful choices I had made. I attempted to go back a few times at various places but found myself uncomfortable and honestly, I would make any and every excuse not to get up and go on a Sunday. Not so, since I found this family! I cannot imagine being anywhere else..doing anything else...

I have learned more about the Bible in the last two years than I have in my lifetime. Maybe part of that is my own heart is more open now, but mostly I think it is because Rex Boyles has been blessed with an incredible gift for teaching God's Word and an amazing heart that understands people.

I am glad that there are places like your "Place to start life over" and our "open" place for sinners like me. May we continue to work to do God's will and strive to love folks like Jesus.

Anonymous said...

I too attend the "Open" church, and I am so grateful that these people and others like them exist.

I grew up attending church every time the doors were open, attended a Christian college, did some mission work...

Walked away from it all for about 10 years. I was uncomfortable in my own skin when I was around "church" people, and could never kick that feeling.

I finally hit a second huge valley in my life that brought me back. Rex had told me about this place and I couldn't believe it could really be that welcoming. Well it is!!! I am starting life over there and am grateful to have found a place where my heart can rest and grow. We just talk about the Bible and how to be like Jesus...amazing how comforting that can be. What a concept...