Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I THINK HE SAW ME COMING

What in the world just happened to me? I just got home from church. I've surely been Slick Willied.....by a little kid!!!! Eli Thornton is the older child of our staffers, Jason and Heather. Ordinarily he is too distracted with kids his age to pay attention to this old man. Not the case tonight. I must be special. Eli had me in his sight from a distance....and I walked right into one of the most amazing traps of my life.

I noticed he was unusually enthused to see me at church tonight. This delighted me. Eventually, I realized why. He flagged me down with a fund raising catalog from his grade school tucked under his arm. Hey Terry, he called out with unusual excitement over my appearance in the foyer. My school would hardly believe it if your name was to show up on this order blank!!!!!

So, what can I say? I guess Eliot Elementary will simply be wowed because my name SURELY IS on the roster having paid twelve bucks for some Christmas wrap. I usually don't buy as so many of our kids sell neat items. However, if his school would be half as excited as he was to get my name on that order form, then let's have at it!

As braced as I was to tell Mr. Slick No, I couldn't resist. If my name would mean that much (and upon inquiry he assured me it would) to his school, then I say I've got to do my part. Should any of you pass by Eliot Elementary tomorrow, you'll most likely know some kind of holiday is in force. Not really. The shouting must be because Eli showed them my name.

I think he saw me coming!

12 comments:

Shane Coffman said...

Jason and Heather have trained him well, don't they?

And I bet they learned it from you!

tim rush said...

how can I get my name on that order form?

Shane Coffman said...

Apparently someone in the office needs to teach me grammar...

Take 2:
Jason and Heather have trained him well, haven't they?

Anonymous said...

I usually leave a long note on this blog, so long that many may not pay it any attention. But I really enjoy reading what Brother Terry has to say in it. I leave with you today information on how to receive Terry's book study on the Holy Spirit tonight after I have been to church myself b/c we recently went through a study in Bible class at Golf Course Road Church of Christ in Midland, TX
where the teacher referred to the book quite often using it as a major source of information to lead the lessons. I also teach Marketing at Midland High School and advise a school club and I will use what the kid salesman did as an example to my teenage leaders to challenge them to raise money for our organization this school year. We are in the birth stages of beginning a Men's Ministry at GCR and I am encouraged not only by Brother Terry's teaching and blog but what I see in Terry is a very unordinary man living for Jesus in a great but unordinary way. By the way Terry how old are you, b/c I don't know but want to for various reasons. You bring messages about Christianity that many leave in the back of their minds and you always have fresh ideas. You are also unordinary b/c you went from writing in the morning to doing it at night and you just keep on ticking. God Bless, Jim Cooke

Empowering the Ordinary Believer
http://www.rogerthompsonministries.org/article.aspx?pID=20823

Roger regularly teaches seminars on Terry Rush's Book, Empowering the Ordinary Believer. The Four-Day Seminar focuses on the Holy Spirit and how the Holy Spirit empowers us today. It is a dynamic and life changing study. If you would like to host a seminar in your congregation, please contact us. We are presently working on the Holy Spirit Seminar schedule for 2007. To order the Thirteen lesson series book entitled: EMPOWERING THE ORDINARY The Holy Spirit Helping Inadequate Believers. by Terry Rush . Send $14.99 per copy to our address on the home page or call 918-623-6594. Also, Roger has a 6 CD set of lessons delivered on the book for $5.00 each, $30 per set. This study will release new life into your spiritual walk.

Terry Rush said...

Jim,

I'm a young 60.

Thanks for the promo regarding Empowering the Ordinary!

Dusty Rush said...

Dad, I've been meaning to tell you how excited my house note would be to have your name on it!

Anonymous said...

Terry, my precious grand daughter is selling candles at school and I feel that your wife would love to have one and your secretary and your youth minister's wife and your worship leader ... so ... how many can she put you down for?

Heather said...

What Terry didn't know was that the conversation continued as we walked from the church to our house last night. Eli said "You know what I think? I think Mr. Terry's the boss of the whole church building, parking lot, and our house and backyard! Well, maybe not our house, but at least our backyard!! " :-)

No special training... he just genuinely loves you!

Norsemanrm said...

Wow!
Is he good or what?
It's also interesting that there are already eight posts by 9am.
I especially like Dusty's
You know that after this post you will be bombarded with kid's.
I love how you find and see the joy in life my friend.

Stoogelover said...

What a sales pitch! Sounds a lot like that preacher at Memorial Drive in Tulsa!!

C said...

I will be sure to share this story at Eliot today!:-) We will all be looking for your name on his paper. :-)
Too funny!

Rhonda Coleson said...

It's happening in Alabama as well:) Two darling smiles greeted me at the doorbell. My crackers will be fresh and my vegetables will be crisp:)