Saturday, August 18, 2007

GLOBAL WARMING

It's Saturday, a day I usually don't write an article. However, God just placed this on my heart so I'll write for whatever it's worth and leave it through Monday? Maybe? My mind just keeps going back to the dear hearts all over the world which give warmth to their communities. Thus, Global Warming of the sure kind gets notice for the moment.

We hear of government projects (ours and others) which amount to dollar terms of millions, billions, and trillions. Have you ever wondered what the total would be from the generous coffers of Christianity? I'm not discussing "church contributions" here. That's another huge story. I am only drawing attention to benevolent giving. Try to imagine the amount of money given per year by:
  • YOURSELF as you both write out checks to your church or community organizations or simply hand out cash when you see a need when at church or in the marketplace.
  • YOUR FELLOW CHRISTIANS within your congregation doing the same as you.
  • OTHER CHURCHES OF CHRIST IN YOUR OWN COMMUNITY doing the same.
  • OTHER CHURCHES OF DIFFERENT BRANDS IN YOUR COMMUNITY: individuals and corporate efforts.
  • ALL CHURCHES IN YOUR COUNTY
  • ALL CHURCHES IN YOUR STATE
  • ALL CHURCHES IN AMERICA
  • ALL CHURCHES ON ALL SEVEN CONTINENTS

I believe the amount to be both significant and immeasurable. Would the dollar amount exceed millions? Billions? Trillions? I believe our government (of which I am not against) may be outdone by the GLOBAL WARMING of the human heart. And, note I have only referred to money. We have yet to discuss precious and abundant time given.

So it very well may be true after all. The chill may be rescinding from the world's cold shoulders as Global Warming is melting it's way into icy waters of resistance.

There. This has been brought to you by God. I didn't think of it on my own!

1 comment:

Franklin Wood said...

As a youth minister, I am blessed to witness "global warming" every week...
(1) It continually amazes me how much time and love my "mature" brothers and sisters in Christ invest in younger Christians (going to youth events, babysitting for young families, etc.) AND helping strangers.
(2) Also, WE are blessed by our church family. The other day, someone just left some money for my family. The awesome thing is, I went to the doctor the next day, and that money was just enough to pay for my prescriptions!!