Sunday, March 18, 2007

THE VALUE OF BEING CLUELESS

One of the persistent characteristics of individuals noted in scripture is that, compared to Jesus, they were clueless. The disciples were clueless as to how to feed the 5000. Others would be walking along a cobblestone path, encounter the risen Lord, and be clearly unaware.... clueless ...as they filed their dismay to the very one they were seeking. The prayer group was clueless as to believing Peter could be released from prison and found knocking at their court gate. Peter was clueless as to the fact he would soon reverse his confession three times before the rooster cock-a-doodle-do-ed at sunrise. Paul would write about visions and say things like, I don't know if I was actually there in body, or if I just saw it in my mind.

If this went on in the presence of Jesus when he was embodied physically, how is it we believe we are immune to such absurdity; especially when we are relating to him invisibly? I believe we are each most ridiculous to stay long at the well of "brotherhood argument". I don't know the man or woman who isn't clearly clueless. Give me your best scholar and I'll show you one who hasn't the foggiest about the kingdom system. Yes, we know a few random and important facts. But, compared to the mind and the wisdom of Jesus, we are each blatantly clueless. Spiritual arguments fit in the categories of foolish, sham, and vain.

Furthermore, I like it. I enjoy being clueless. While I am very small in understanding, I am enough for Him to use. While my "don't knows" are 70 x more than my 7 "knows", I stand enthused to serve Him giving it my best shot. Why? He's the One that runs the show....Rom. 9:16.....not us.

But Terry, aren't we to give a reason for the hope within us? Yes, and I just did. Clueless is who they were. Clueless is who we are. When we can admit it today, we can be used as those of the early church.....mightily!

6 comments:

Matt said...

We make such awkward comparisons but somehow they seem like good ones to us. We put ourselves next to some "ultra-sinner" and think we come out smelling peachy. Stand next to Jesus and see how smart and holy you look. We have our comparisons all wrong. The best of us and the worst of us all look equally bad when we compare ourselves to the perfect Jesus. Thanks for the humbling post.

Wes said...

Good stuff. :)

Stoogelover said...

Sure takes some of pressure off us, doesn't it?!

Jeanne said...

Terry, I just love this!!!! I remember a time in my own walk when I was so hesitant to share Jesus with those around me because try as I might, I just could never remember that whole chain of scriptures “proving” why the church of Christ did what they did and why that made them the “true” church found in the scriptures. I spent most of my time trying to sell my church’s theology to my Baptist friends instead of joining with them to reach our lost friends who could have cared less what brand of religion we represented. What they needed was real hope, real love, and real purpose for their lives. What they needed was Christ not my memorized method of doing church pretending that was the way to Christ. Now, I share Jesus freely because I have been released from having to know a network of scriptures to “prove” things. I offer Jesus, what I know of Him, what I believe of Him, and yes, even what I don’t get of Him. I no longer feel the burden to know all the “right answers” because I understand and know the only answer that really matters and it is wonderfully and simply JESUS!

Liz Moore said...

I've always felt a little clueless, no I know I have good reason to feel that way :) Great Post!

Anonymous said...

Motto to live by:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body throughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride".

Terry this sounded like a motto of yours!