Wednesday, April 01, 2015

BEING SPIRITUAL BUT NOT RELIGIOUS

It seems to be fairly common to hear one say, I'm spiritual, but I'm not religious.

Interpreted, I believe in God, but I don't believe in this church stuff.

This really bugs me because, from the point such is said, I believe the same thing.  I'm glad so many believe such a statement.  Religion, coming from laws and rules, is a killer of one's spirit.  Jesus as much as said so.  No, I need to be clearer.  He said so.

Religion (the perspective from those outside of church) has ruined church influence. Those of us in the church pedal hard to reverse this reputation.  For now, I simply want to concur with the masses that I don't blame them for how turned-off they are.

Too, I would like to encourage these wounded-from-religion folks that the prominent thrust of lively church is, in fact, spiritual.  It is the engagement and involvement of the Holy Spirit that quickens our spirits to be alive, not dead; to be encouraged, not depressed; and to be powerful, not weak.

Religion bores.  Thus the connection of church dislike.  But the Spirit energizes and it is this element that I wish those who avoid us would dare to brush against.

Church isn't sit-down be-quiet count-the-minutes-til-the-closing-prayer clock time. Neither is it useless.  Church is relational; us with God and us with others.  When we find that we are needed, we transition from resistance to assistance.  We are glad to participate if we find meaning and purpose.

I once stayed away from church because I felt that church was simply a good way to ruin a valuable half a day.  Attending church is deadening.  Enmeshed into the fabric of the church is enlivening. Everyone should reject the former and pursue the latter.

Being spiritual is connecting to God and to people.  If one believes he can walk with God and not have interest, compassion, and interaction with people, this would seem to be the ultimate of a false religion.

The exciting news is that the church is spiritual or else it isn't of God.  I want to be a part of that one!

No comments: