Saturday, October 04, 2014

THINK GOD. THINK PEOPLE. THINK.

From my early days, I have wanted many things.  I wanted to be liked.  I wanted to get good grades.  I wanted to play baseball for the St. Louis Cardinals.  I wanted to....well...I had a lot of wants.

I also had a major unwant.  I didn't want to go to church.  I dabbled in it the way many do along the way as a kid.  I would go to Sunday School on my own; mainly so that I could stop by Gardine's Drugstore on my walk home to get some candy.  Yes, I was addicted early....to candy, that is.

I always wished for one of those perfect attendance pins for showing up; but I just couldn't take the boredom of class or of church.  I didn't like church and I didn't want church.  My goal was that when I got bigger I would never participate in what I perceived to be the greatest boredom on earth.

Things changed; obviously.

I mention this only to remind you that the unchurched aren't necessarily looking for a church; but they would be open to it.  Mary and I were merely invited by great friends to a church supper on a Saturday night.  We were hooked and never looked back!

People, very good normal acquaintances, are on the search for something.  Often we just don't realize it is God.  These people are everywhere.  What I want you to consider is that these with whom we have steady interaction throughout our week are vulnerable to your invitation to join you at some normal church function.

Three weeks ago B. J. sat with Mary and me.  I drink coffee at the same place he does. For months I've been telling him he needs to just see what goes on at the place where I get to work.

What's going on within the interior of our neighbors, our friends, even our relatives? Oh, these are basically expected to shine on and so most do.  Yet, inwardly you never know the real pain, anxiety, dis-ease, or worry which plagues.

Invitations to join us may eventually be a welcomed solution to what bugs them.

Our communities are loaded with the unchurched.  They may dislike us.  However, I think that many are like Mary and I were.  We had a slight bent toward God but we weren't aware that there was a way to connect.  It is the disconnect that we are about solving.

So here's what I would like you to do.  Wonderful people are all around you.  Some may appear successful.  Others seem to struggle.  All need the unmatched love of God. Say something to them:

  • Hey, we have a group that meets on ______ and I think you might like to go with me someday.
  • You know, we are having a gathering on _____ and if I don't find a guest, it is going to make me look bad.  You wouldn't be interested in rescuing me, would you?
  • Our church has a co-ed softball team and we need a strong arm.  You wouldn't want to be that person, would you?  Our team would really like you.
  • You know, our church serves the homeless on Tuesday nights, and if you would ever have the time, I would love for you to go with me.  It has opened me up to how blessed I am.  I think you might really like it.  Plus, you have such a natural way with strangers which would be a big boost to them.
  • One of the things I love about our church is the special events they have for kids.  Your kids might really like them as well.  Next week is our Fall Festival and it is so much fun.  Mark that date down in case your three would like to be a part.  It's really a blast!
  • I often hear you singing in the next cubicle at work day in and day out.  I don't know if you have a church, but we have a praise team at ours.  I would love for you to meet our worship minister and see if there might be a place for you to help us out.  You would fit right in.
  • I heard you mention that your spouse has been a bit in the dumps lately. Boyee, have I ever been there!  I don't know if you would have any interest, but I'm attending a class on Wednesday nights that is a real pick-me-up.  Why don't you pick a Wednesday evening that you all have free and ride over with me.  I think you would get a lot out of it.
We can be so about our Christian busyness that we let opportunities of outreach slip by.  In our defense, I think it is a simple matter that we don't realize how respected and loved we are by so many in our circle.  Very many of these wonderful people are what we would call churched.  Wonderful.

I encourage us to keep our eyes open for the many around us who do not know God; but would welcome an invitation to have an avenue to seek Him.  So many are hurting behind closed doors.  As was I, so many just don't know where to start; but would if someone like you would offer friendly direction.

Think God.  As we do He would call us to think people.  Think...and then act upon your thoughts.

No comments: