Sunday, August 31, 2014

AN ENCOURAGEMENT TO PRAY

Prayer is the believer's connection to God.  It links us to His direction and power. Too, prayer is the simple interaction/conversation divinely designed for relationship; man to God, God to man.  This element is so vital that it is heavily thwarted by enemy forces.  Many believe.  Few pray.

For me, prayer was a burden.  I didn't like to pray.  I didn't want to pray.  I had busyness which was more demanding of my attention.  But, along the way, my perspective as well as perception changed.  If this would encourage you, I share the following.

For the early days of my ministry, I didn't like to pray.  It was boring.  I liked activity.  Action was full of what's-happening-now.  I went to Prayer Seminars. Yawners.  I fasted and prayed.  I was mainly hungry.  This section of kingdom life had no energy; so it seemed.  There surely had to be more.  This was dull.

A thing that greatly changed my engagement in prayer was twofold: (1) I actually began to believe that God works with and among us, and (2) I began to pray with thanksgiving.

Regarding God working, such a statement from a minister can seem silly.  Yet, I was trained that if anything was to be that it was up to me.  God had sort of taken early retirement and sorta looked down from Heaven's balcony to see how His investments were going.  I did not realize that He was mutually active among us.  We are to work together; Him in the lead and us in the following of His directives.

This was a significant breakthrough for if assumed He was a spectator only, then there would be no involvement....and I needed assistance!  If there was to be no movement on His part, I felt I had better things to do with my time.

And then, I noted the Bible speaking of praying with thanksgiving.  Philippians 4:4-8 would be an example.  When in need, God urges us to tell Him Thank You.  This changes a prayer life.  When we talk with Him bragging on who He is and what He has done, we shift from the placing-our-order prayers to relationship-with-Father conversation.

We are not called to hit our knees with I want/help me only.  We are to tell Father how much we love and adore.  No one will do this who does not believe in our invisible God.

I encourage you to set aside the grocery store list of placing an order for your most urgent need.  First, share with your spiritual Creator the many things you note in thanksgiving.  Let this list grow.

I encourage you to pray.  Try to do more than say a prayer.  One does not say a conversation with a relative or a neighbor.  We carry on a relationship.  This is what God anticipates and desires with us.

Tell Him you believe He works among us today and then thank Him for it.

No comments: