Sunday, July 06, 2014

A WORD TO THOSE WHO PREACH

Most naturally I have a special inclination to root for our preachers; especially the younger ones.  You have taken on one of the most paradoxical tasks on earth.  You will work with the divine Spirit while being enmeshed in some of our most enormous flesh struggles; yours and ours.

I cannot tell you how much I fear for you.  I fear you won't know what to do with criticism.  Oppositely, I fear just as strongly that you will misinterpret things that don't go your way as another's fault.  Not everything will be your fault; yet much of it can and might be.  All things will be for your advantage.  My fear is that you would scamper off to another place which has hidden the very same attacks awaiting down the road.

But to override my fear, I must tell you how much I love you.  I love it that you have a vast imagination for what can be.  I love you for launching out after your heart's dream.  I love you for subjecting your family to both the joys and the trials of being a follower of Him.

When you encounter unfair words and treatment, don't flinch.  Because of the style of Jesus we must learn from the tough times.  These are also gifts.  No one is to go into ministry with the assumption of any other route than experiencing deep pain and frustration.  Such is the picture from the cross.

Churches aren't what we should be.  Many, however, just need a preacher to believe in them.  Elders may have traits that hinder the work; but they really could be blessed by a preacher who believes in them.  Those who seem to be on the edge of the fellowship circle and question their value really need a minister to notice their strong points.

And I know this sounds so backward, young men, but the strongest thing you have going for you is your weakness...II Cor. 12:9.  I know.  I know what it's like to wish we were pulpit stars and managerial gurus.  But we are not.  We are plain, common, and obviously (to all) lacking.

Nonetheless, we will not hide.  Neither will we pretend to be of a rank or a level that we are not.  We will use our weaknesses as a holy stage for God to demonstrate His dynamic.  We will not shrink in fear but we will arise in Holy Spirit confidence that we are enough as long as He is the One empowering.

Do not overestimate your sharpness.  We are never more than a nobody.  It is the secret of the kingdom system that God uses all of us leasts who allow God room to show His stuff.  Try not to be jealous of any other minister you would believe has been targeted by God for the big stuff.  It is easy to let this happen.

But, our role is to tell Him thank you for the ways He is choosing to use us to reach the world.  You most likely assume that you are not a big deal.  Good.  We aren't. However, we are in His eyes when we walk in humility alongside the Spirit of Jesus.


No comments: