Thursday, June 05, 2014

A MINISTRY IDEA THAT MIGHT OVERCOME AWKWARDICITY

God gave me an idea recently that seems to be promising as far as making a connection with our community.

When our hearts are forged with desire to connect others to God, there are still rampant hesitations at so many intersections.  How do we reach without feeling awkward?  And, my serious concern is how may I reach to them without causing them to feel uneasy.

By knowing that every person I would/could ever meet surely has pockets of insecurity coupled with concerns, I find it easier to befriend so many in my path because I simply care about how they are doing.  I intentionally plant and water seed of the good kingdom by my words of outreach.

People matter.  When in need, often they don't know how (or what) to say to another that would bring accurate relief.  It is often that we must offer the introductory words for conversation with our community.

Yet there are those masses that we brush against throughout each day that give us pause as to what we might do to break into their world.  What can be done to build them, encourage them, reach them with God's mercy and grace?  How may we approach without being out of balance with the moment's rhythm of social skill?

I'm always on the hunt for the way to best interject a God-moment; even to complete strangers. I think about it non-stop.  Occasionally, I will find the words for wise approach.  Many times, though, I walk away talking to myself about how I coulda/shoulda/woulda reached.  For me, it usually isn't a matter of uneasiness for myself as it is for them.

Yesterday it seemed like I hit the a winner.

When at lunch I was reading a book while eating at a fast food place.  A woman with two preschool daughters came along to sit in the booth one over.  Both of the littles wore thick-lensed glasses; one had a hearing-aid.  They were cute, cute, cute.  I pondered, Is there anything to say?  Should anything be said that would give them grace for the moment?  

And it hit me.

As I was leaving I stepped up the their booth and complimented the momma on her sweet kids.  She was, of course, happy to hear my positive remark.  And then I told her I was a minister and handed her my business (which is a bubble-gum) card.  I told her about Memorial Drive and how we cared about children.

And then I pointed to my email listed on the back.  Anytime your family hits a rough spot and would need a group to pray, we are ones who will.  Email me if you ever need a group to pray for your family.  The momma lit up with abundant expressions of gratitude.

Will I hear from her again?  Who would know?  It is God who takes our efforts and blends them with 10,000 other efforts to connect with one more special creature of His.

Later I was at the doctor's office.  As I was leaving I mentioned to the nurse what a great job she has done all these years.  I gave her my latest card with special note to the email address should her family ever need prayers.  Tears arose.

She said, I have one now.  My daughter is very ill, and she continued her explanation.  She gave me her email address to check in on things.

Offering to pray for either those we routinely encounter or for complete strangers may just be that avenue you could use to overcome ministry awkwardicity.  I think we all enjoy learning of ways to reach a bit farther into our community of extraordinary friends and neighbors.

Believe it.  Many people want God's help and don't know how to make that connection.  Might you be that one in your territory who could give others that assistance?


No comments: