Thursday, October 10, 2013

ARE WE EXPECTING ENOUGH OUT OF US?

That crazy kingdom pendulum; it just keeps swinging folks in the church.  I mean folks just like you and me. I mean you and me.

I was trained to be right.  In that process I misunderstood by developing a strong and mean spirit.  I was bold and proud of it.  I was indifferent to what anyone thought and didn't care who wanted to disagree. Truth is truth, after all.  Therefore, I was a hideously obnoxious pulpiteer out to hammer the ignorant.

But a more open study of the Holy Spirit began to melt my imposing stances.  And, they needed melting. Similar to Jesus, I wanted to gather everyone I could under my wings.  My heart's deep desire was to see that all knew there was room for them at the Eternal Inn.

Basically, I believe my first position was flat wrong and my present one is correct. Yet, there is something gone astray as I try to be open to my new spiritual inclusiveness.  I can't quite nail what it is.

Do we not require enough?  Are we afraid to make expectations of His/our people?  Is the church suffering because we have become a card-carrying people rather than cross-carrying disciples?

As in all things, I remain in kindergarten.  But I care to learn.

Have we possibly traded discipleship in for happiness?  I wonder.  Kingdom life is thrilling, wild, and rough in many places.  Our culture is mundane, tame, and soft; no surprises please.  We want applause and trophies for all, whether earned or not.  We pride ourselves in being sensitive.

Again, I remind you that I'm not certain of my inquiries.  I do believe it is good to evaluate how it is we have gotten into a rut of trying to fill pews with bodies rather than hearts who will not be intimidated by any one or group from praising God robustly in our assemblies and on our streets.

Churches seem to be built for taste rather than for mission.  Preferences of the sitters in general may have taken the lead rather than the sheer call of a very risky God.

The solution is not fuzzy.  It is Jesus.  Some pride themselves in being ecumenical while others are glad they are not as them; rather they are out baptizing.  Yet, others are lectureship/workshop junkies and others church planters and builders.

It seems to be few there are who are centering on Jesus.  He is yet to be known by and in the Churches of Christ even though his name is on our lawn signs and also used to endorse every prayer.  The knowing of Jesus is not abundant among us; my opinion.

I must learn more of him and as I do, he will be the one that interprets the correct way to move about day by day.

We can expect many things out of our people.  Until it is knowing Jesus intimately, we are just like all other religions and denominations; self-serving.

Not sure; but surely wondering....are we expecting enough out of us?

No comments: