Saturday, May 04, 2013

THE CULTURAL COMMUNICATION GLUT

The maze of communication formats is staggering. 

Do you do Facebook?

Do you do email?

Do you do cell phone?

Do you do FaceTime?

Do you do longhand letters?

Do you do blogs?

Do you do Twitter?

Do you do prayer?

Granted I have drug my feet at every tech advancement.  I didn't want a computer; then I didn't want a mouse.  Yes, in the earlier stages we did not have a mouse.  When I got a cell phone I wouldn't give my number out at first.  The only reason I have this blog is because I accidentally set my own up thinking I was merely commenting on Tim's.  I had 211 hits the first day and there were no words....I didn't even know I had a blog.

Yet, in spite of my reluctance to enter our tech-speed world, I point out a legitimate warning.  If we continue to increase our intake and involvement with the latest and greatest machinery of this culture and do not give the same interest and attention to communicating with God, our church efforts and arguments are simply hollow.

I'm not doctrinally against Twitter or Facebook.  I don't want them for now.  I pray little enough as it is.

It has always been the case and still is.  America and the rest of the world is in grave need of all who profess to live an entirely new standard of hope to spend time with the Creator of all.  Not only are we to say words to Him.  We are sit still; be still and listen to him.

There is such a communication glut in our world.  Do not let it distract from engaging in the talk that changes that very world....prayer.

No comments: