Wednesday, April 24, 2013

THE SPLIT PERSONALITY OF THE PRODIGALS

I'm assuming you have a fairly good grasp of the story known as The Prodigal Son.  Upon reflection today I wonder if the prodigal is a picture of one person found in both boys.

I find in myself a polar fluctuation between depressed over my many dismal failures.  Yet, the very next hour I will be self-absorbed with criticism of others through my squint-eyed lens of obnoxious judgment. 

Which mess am I?

In reality?  Honestly? 

Both.

Therefore, in the revelation of Luke 15:11-32 I find a most perplexing figure; myself.  Yet, there is more; much more.  The value of such a story seems to be in the call to realize that whichever moment I find myself--pathetic in the sin of rebellion against God or pathetic in the sin of judging another who sins in a zone I don't--the Father earnestly cares for both of me.

Both sons are unstable. 

The Father is Rock-Solid. 

Our hope for any given day--like today for example--is that while we waver in our spiritual moods and ugly dispositions, Father never does.  Fortunately, He is the One who says who gets to party and who doesn't.

In the story, both of me are invited.

No comments: