Friday, February 15, 2013

THE PAIN OF THE "D" WORD

When we commit to life with, in, and for Christ, we are immediately placed within a context that is most challenging.  War erupts.  Battles ensue.  Injury is likely.  We might lose our life trying to find it.

It would seem the D word does not help any.  With all of this rocky terrain before our faith, we surely don't need its troublesome tone.

I speak of being Despised.

This is avoided nearly at all costs for being despised is so very difficult to endure.

Fenelon wrote, You must learn to despise the selfishness of your own heart, and you must also be willing to be despised by others....Learn to draw your strength and nourishment from Jesus, and from Him alone. 

Calvin Miller joins the word parade by writing,  As we serve, we may be taken for granted, but we must remember Jesus' words, "the Son of man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many" (Mt. 20:28).

For me, I live in a world where many despise me.  This has always been ultra-difficult for me.  I must say their are more who don't agree with me; but these don't despise me.  Yet, much spite has been voiced my direction. 

It should surprise no one that being despised results in loneliness.  For me there was depression in that loneliness.  Yet, would you venture a guess as to what I discovered because I refused to run?  Nourishment from Jesus. 

Once again we find another painful classroom designed for learning yet another way we are truly advantaged by inner conflict.  Our resurrection-powered life seems too often to be on hold because the pain of our cross-walk is too often aborted.

No comments: