Friday, November 02, 2012

WE LIVE IN MUCH DIFFERENT TIMES...OR...WE ARE NOW OFF TO THE RACES

I speak as if I am 65 years old.  Well, I speak that way because I am.

Things are different these days and I take some of them as challenges to the church.  We live in much different times.  Are churches offering a sensitive kingdom which is ahead of the current culture (or at least up with it) or are we operating from the 80s when the church in the 80s was stuck in the 50s?

I'm not saying that we are not current in any zone.  However, one of the challenges to these times is that the new is nearly old before it is introduced....as in the mini-iPad that just came out on the market.  Trying to text on my ten-key phone pad is....well....trying.  But that phone was upscale when I bought it...I thought.

This morning I unlocked the office door; but the motion detector would not take my code.  With noises beeping, I'm trying to beat the clock....using the code to my home system instead.  Uh huh. 

I'm now at the point that when someone or something needs to know my code, I freeze.  Which code goes where?  The one to my home security, my office security, the balcony security, my blog security, my computer security, or my car security.  I have one for the latter...and can't recall where I put it...really.

We live in a So-Much So-Fast highway that we can hardly take the time to evaluate.

I wonder...maybe I'm just having a senior moment....but I am concerned about the state of these times.  I wonder if the need among us will continue to be the opposite; quiet in the Spirit, rest in Christ, trust in His pace, and wholeness of the mind, body, and spirit.

Communication is so fast and so much that we are behind before we begin.  These times, to me, are bound to take their toll on our minds for there is too much to take in as we shop in these media warehouses for the latest and greatest.

I would think we are tapping many of those avenues.  Surely we are.  Yet, a message of slow-down-and-smell-the-roses is going to become a needed trend...if it isn't here already. 

One more time we may discover that mission trips and study guides beg for the question of Who is this Jesus that the church rumors?  He will always be our life...singularly and only.

We live in much different times.  Yet, as in all centuries, this one pleads for sanity of life.  The response is always consistent....For God so loved the world He sent His only begotten Son....

No comments: