Wednesday, October 17, 2012

BIBLE SPIN

Although quite a novice, I love politics.  For my Cardinals to be in the playoffs and for there to be presidential debates, well I'm living a great month!

The following spin of each debate intrigues me.  Just last night I turned to FOX to get their take of the moment.  They were observing the facts regarding Romney's challenge to the President that he had curtailed oil drilling permits in the U.S.  FOX said Romney was correct; that the President had cut permits by 62%.

I went next to CNN to see what they were championing. Ah, the very same issue.  And their facts were that Romney was wrong and that the President was right as oil production in the U.S. had increased.

Two positions and two opposing claims to facts; all over one issue.

Spin.

And what about the Christian nation? 

Have relatives and neighbors gone deaf to our competitive spin over differing doctrines?  Could it be the world is not being evangelized because churches are selfishly lethargic; that our preconceived spin seems to void the potential of truth, the strength of truth, and the hope of truth? 

Yes, the Bible matters.  Our honesty with it is always in question.

Is it our honest goal to assist others with gaining a relationship with God or is it simply our motivation to fill pews and meet the budget?  Are we driven to see that people are baptized or that they meet Jesus?  There is a difference in both cases.  Individuals can only give their personal answer; but both scenarios fight for the spin cycle.

Of course the answer is the Truth must stand.  Our challenge is that we refrain from doing what the politicians and media seem to do with debate.  It is a constant work for us to offer the Word of Good News to others without blurring our message with a bias that simply fails to find endorsement from God.

For me, I believe I will always be challenged to avoid spinning the Bible to say what I want it to say more than what God wishes I would believe. 

No comments: