Wednesday, June 06, 2012

TO PRAY....OR NOT TO PRAY

We sing There's Power in the Blood with great gusto.  We must be aware that Father expects power in the church as well.  Paul warned his young mentoree about this stating that there actually could be church in organization which would deny the power.

The CofC heritage has blatantly denied Paul's warning having done its best to function without the power of the Holy Spirit.  We have functioned because we have organized the best we could according to scripture.  Yet, also according to scripture, we have failed in general to turn on the power. 

It is interesting, I think, that one of the places in scripture that addresses this power working in us is Ephesians 3:20; according to the power that works within us.  The context of that chapter is the filling of the Holy Spirit.

What needs to be noted is the subject of prayer within (:14). 

Here's what I have noticed about my personal walk.  When I didn't believe the Holy Spirit worked in my life I also did not like to pray.  And why should I?  While I was obedient, prayer felt to be blocked by ceiling tile.  I know....that's just peculiar me.

Yet, when I realized the Spirit is factually and biblically active within the common believer, there became a new vent for prayer; His participation, His provision, and His potential.

Prayer changes things.  True.  Our Holy Spirit view changes whether we pray.  Also true.

No comments: