Saturday, May 26, 2012

WHY I DIDN'T LIKE JOHN 10:9

I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and shall find pasture.

Call me silly; but when I first became a student of the Word, I didn't like this passage.  It gave us too much freedom; in and out.  I guess mom's scolding words still rang in my head, Either get in or out; but quit opening that door!

Plus, with the adamant teaching in my newly found church that one could never be sure one is saved, I felt the Bible would be better off to say, Get in and stay in for you might go back out an be lost.  After all, if one can be born again one can assuredly be lost again!

Ah, but the task of freedom and her radiant challenges to us narrow ones.  Freedom, in and out, authorized by Him. 

I marvel at the new life at Memorial Drive over these past ten or twelve years.  As far as human engagement, I see the positive difference is created by our elders.  They have not only led us, they have allowed themselves the freedom to grow in the Spirit with us. 

Our four assertively lead with desire to get on board with the Spirit; regardless of fear or the threat of fear from others.  These men are simply willing to go in and out with God's possibilities just to see if we might strike oil out in some of those pastures.  Too many in their position keep tight reign on church efforts in the name of responsibility; yea even logic.

Yet, the Door Shepherd said I want that in and out flexibility in my sheep to find; to discover.  The church discovers treasures of Father when we are given permission to search, to roam, and to simpy try.  I am thankful for all elders like ours who remain eager to give-it-a-try with the assurance some of our ideas are ridiculous while others are just ridiculous enough they probably will work.

I didn't like John 10:9 because I thought is gave the sheep too much flexibility to move about and they would get in trouble.  Ah, once again my perception was different than what Jesus had in mind.  Go figure.

No comments: