Sunday, May 06, 2012

SPIRITUAL FORMATION

One buzz phrase among us is Spiritual Formation.  It is a good thing.  Each time I hear it referenced it is usually by someone I greatly admire.  And surely these proponents can see huge gaps in me as my years of service missed the blessings these guys and gals embrace of valuable insight.

In revisiting II Cor. 12:5-11 recently, the thought occurred to me that Spiritual Formation is most definitely embedded within this text.  Suffering and difficulties and persecution are robust necessities of our spiritual grooming.  The benefits are about endurance coupled with the underlying truth one will learn to not run away from disappointment or disruption. 

To dismiss these basic grooming tools is to talk the talk and yet fail to be spiritually formed.

Spiritual Formation is central to discipleship.  Discipleship is keyed off of discipline.  Discipline is the School of Hard Knocks in the kingdom that trains ambitious men and women to endure.  Jesus is our Master example.  He would not quit and when opponents did away with him Father brought him back.

The fundamental concept from the SoHK is one thing; learning to not get our way.  (Sorry, folks, it's a bummer isn't it?)

Negative committees and contolling leaders and local naggers and narrow harpers will eventually do away with us...and well...this should happen to us.  If we are going to learn to hold on---not give up---we will only do so through the church boot camp of extreme stress.  This is a blessing; not the curse initially assumed

In my early years I badly wanted to be somebody; a Charles Coil, a Marvin, or a McGuiggan.  But I was stuck with me and this wasn't enough to be a somebody.

Yet, this Corinthian text declares that Paul's self-assessment was he was a nobody.  I believe it of him for he had been spiritually formed.  Now I believe it of myself.  I am more of a nobody than Paul...and do you know what?  I don't mind it at all.  It is the truth and now I am freed from the slavery of being someone I am not.

Spiritual Formation is a relatively new term among us over the past couple of decades.  Yet, the rugged dog-days of not getting our way has been around a bit longer.  The moments are friends to those serious about learning the Master plan.

After my counsel sought by them, I have pleaded with many a good man to not give up his preaching call.  Each would write me with explanation that it was just too difficult, unfair, and dark where they served.  Yes....I agree with their assessment...but not their conclusion. 

Rough times are never an occasion to quit.  They are always the inspiration to let such trauma and frustration serve as yet another Spiritual Formation class.  These are the best training schools....and so often....they are free.

In Winston Churchill's words upon post World War II, Never, never, never give up.  Should you be serious about Spiritual Formation, begin by noting the training courses you tried to escape.  Don't sigh in frustration.  Smile in this learning process. 

I'm still going to school.

No comments: