Thursday, May 10, 2012

IS THE LOVE THERE?

Could it be our greatest challenge will always be the foremost commandment; to love God?

I know this may expose me for the weakness all about me and of me, but it was a long time coming that I really loved God. 

During my early years after conversion in 1970 I was like a new Mormon rushing about American cemeteries gathering family lineage from tombstones.  I was thrilled over the Restoration Movement; not the goal of it, but the historical marvel.

And then the being the only ones right, of course, is enamoring to a young convert who knew basically little about religion other than the B word....BORING.  Thus, I quickly offended every relative at every family gathering for their stupidity had become remarkable to the new me.

Yet through the years, God has chosen to be kind to me.  His grace is both immeasurable as well as indescribable.  I have learned.  I am not called to love the things of the kingdom or the notables of the church without first being crazy about Him.

And...I am.

I no longer talk to Him; but have daily dialog with Him.  God gets the credit for anything which might prove productive in my life.  It is God who is to be honored and adored. 

And this I have learned.  When there is no relationship, there is no worship.  As one of our elders accurately points out, there must be an intense romance between God and the believer.

Is the love there?  Debater?  Organizer?  Preacher?  Elder?  If the love isn't there, you now might weigh this prioritorial call from the Word once again.

No comments: