Wednesday, February 01, 2012

I DO MORE THAN PLAY BASEBALL

I am coming off of a fabulous week at baseball camp. While I can note the specific days when in camp, baseball evangelism goes on year round.

When I came in this morning two emails awaited me (from two of the stars) which are surely encouraging about God's timing and involvement.

Too, I share a note with you which will be sent today to another of the former Cardinals--a major name in the game. I planted good seed in camp and follow up with the following letter.

You don't go to baseball camp. You work in offices, or teach classes, or go to the doctors, or take coffee breaks. Awaken to your world of people and take action. Plant kingdom seed.

You have words that fit your stage, your circle of connections, and your life-zone. Do what you can to open doors and hearts with your words. Most of all, realize the opportunity few have in the space God has you planted.


February 1, 2012

Dear (name withheld for this post),

Thank you for being so ultra good to me. I never take your kindness for granted.

Too, thank you for being gracious when I risked saying to you what I did at the coach’s box that one afternoon. I admire and love you so much.

File away my cell and keep my card with the email address nearby for any emergency where I would be deemed as helpful.

I don’t want to get religious on you for I resist that dead-end alley myself. I live to encourage others about possibility and hope. If you have never been baptized, you might want to think about it for it is there that one’s blunders are completely washed away never to be brought up by God again.

If you can imagine the Cardinals trading Matt Holliday straight up for me, the move would be scandalous; a young pro for an old nobody? Yet God traded His son straight up for you (and me) which is even a much bigger trade—everything right about Jesus placed on us and all of our wrongness placed on him on the cross (see II Corinthians 5:21)!

All of this is private stuff; thus, I would never bring it up to you in a crowd. This is the kind of stuff one needs to begin to work out in his own conscience.

Know of my admiration and deep appreciation for your goodness toward me. My email is on the back of my card should you ever want to be in touch if even for you to give me advice on hitting!

My best to a terrific friend,
Terry


I do more than play baseball. I plant. I water. I watch for God.

Be encouraged. Knock on hearts. See what God will do with all of us!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

May God work mightily through your encouragement!

Let me know how it goes - privately or through your blog!

I am at a "non-church" conference where I like to see how God will use me...love the anticipation of what will happen teaming up with Him!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Terry!! So glad to be your friend and fellow Cards fan. You do good in letting God work in amazing ways through you!! Keep it up.
Trish