Monday, January 02, 2012

SLIPPERY SLOPES

I ran into an old friend recently. I hadn't seen him in years. He once liked my preaching back in the good ol' days. Not so much anymore.

This caused reflection on something I learned a ways back; why I preached what I did and why I preach the way I do. I cannot speak for all preachers; only for myself.

Upon conversion I was immediately exposed to a severely critical brotherhood. According to the church chatter, few preachers and elders and congregations were doing church correctly; very few. With great eagerness, I did not want to be one of "them" who were surely sliding headlong down that brotherhood coastline known as the Slippery Slope.

My primary preaching goal was the Word with heavy slant toward brotherhood approval. Oddly, one way to gain such was to be loud in the pulpit, unbending, naming names, and taking prisoners. The base of many of those I was around at that time took these signals to be sound in the faith.

While my approach was later to be found out as Jesus-less, I stood against liberalism in the toughest of situations! I felt I was due great honor for not caving.

Then a very strange thing happened. This loud, self-proclaimer met Jesus. It wasn't a pretty sight for my preaching style was found to be more beat 'em over the head than Jesus sacrificing. My fire remains; but the noise has been curbed somewhat. The drive to win souls is stronger than before; but to the mean-spirited I appear to have lost my zeal on that fore-warned slippery slope.

Jesus doesn't cool us off, my friends. He redirects our muscle tone. He strengthens us with his Spirit rather than our own ingenuity. Jesus leads us to bear fruit rather than shout at the orchards. He takes us to the finish line rather than bellowing loud claims from the non-participating stands.

We are in the war to be loved by God. We are in the war for people. The war is intense. I had to move from loud barking at cars passing by to joining the ranks of many others on that infamous slippery slope. Middle-of-the-road, as I was informed by one famous brother that I needed to walk, may indeed be safer. But I know nothing more anemic nor unlike Jesus.

We are called to place our all upon his shoulders. Whether in the ditch or on our cross, may God bless us as we no longer serve with screaming pulpitudes; but with tender mercies of faith in His ability. Some will label this as Slippery Slope. I choose to call it Dependence Day on God.

My preaching? Oh, it gets weaker. My hope is the Spirit of Christ comes through....that which is regarded as the slipperiest of all slopes.

5 comments:

James said...

Well said, Terry. Thanks.

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Excellent Terry.

Tim Archer said...

Excellent thoughts.

I like to say: "If you accept one slippery slope argument, you'll end up accepting them all."

:-)

Anonymous said...

"Jesus leads us to bear fruit rather than shout at the orchards." I love that line.

Preaching "The Truth", as defined by the crowd who warned you about Slippery Slopes, isn't about defending non-instruments or even baptism as the ticket to Heaven. It's about Jesus and Him only.

Jay

jason reeves said...

Oh that all of Christ's servants would get out of His way and get in HIs Way....