Tuesday, September 27, 2011

THE RESUSCITATION MOVEMENT

I have lived most of my life cowardly; fraidy-cat like. Sounding bold is the perfect lure for those like me to become a legalist. From experience, being legal minded allowed me to hide behind brave words while self-conscious that I was nothing but a weak-kneed little man on the interior.

I wasn't about good news. I was about survival...survival of the weakest.

God has so broken this barrier down that I am learning day by day that I am in the glorious mix of every man and woman. I most certainly fit in. So do you. We are all filled with our own weaknesses and His ultra-Life.

I began to learn years ago that others are just like me. I am not the only fearful duck like I had assumed. Even those at the top suffer discouragement. Consider two whom I revere.

Charles Spurgeon confessed, Before any great achievement, some measure of depression is very usual.....Such was my experience when I first became a pastor in London. My success appalled me; and the thought of the career which it seemed to open up, so far from elating me, cast me into the lowest depth....Who was I that I should continue to lead so great a multitude? I would betake me to my village obscurity, or emigrate to America, and find a solitary nest in the backwoods, where I might be sufficient for the things which would be demanded of me...This depression comes over me whenever the Lord is preparing a larger blessing for my ministry.

And then Chuck Swindoll followed with, I'll admit that there have been days I have identified with Spurgeon. Although maybe not as deeply as he did, I have known a deep valley of discouragement at times---even when others would think I might be caught up in pride, of all things. I have known times when I secretly wondered, "Should I even stay at it?"

What is the value of these two citations? Clearly, if the guys at the top get depressed to where they wonder if they can keep going, we must realize we who are on the fringe can grasp the truth that we are all identically subject to fearful, discouraging and wobbly walks.

I am never in the presence of anyone without being alert to their deep need for life-giving words. As we encounter each individual we have just come upon a wreck; regardless of dress or make-up or image, a train-wreck has, is, or will take place. We have the privileged opportunity to give resuscitation to princes and paupers.

Struggle and stress care not what sort they attack; the super-powerful or the no-confidenced. They live to ruin and destroy. They bombard the heart and mind with intensely effective tactics screaming with the message, You oughta do everybody a big favor and just quit.

It is the empty grave that reminds us, Never give up! You are a good-news carrier!

The good news for us is that perpetual good-news words are always needed. Speak resuscitating words!

1 comment:

Franklin Wood said...

Thanks, Terry...really needed this encouragement today!