Sunday, March 20, 2011

THE PLUS SIDE TO CRITICISM

It's bigger than the Olympics!  It's one of the most impacting events of the kingdom!  It's the Tulsa Workshop!

Wednesday night Kip Long and the praise team will lead those gathered at the Tulsa Fairgrounds Pavilion in one terrific time of praise to God.  And (I'm predicting dressed in black) Randy Harris will preach on, Let the Chains of Indifference Fall Away.

I share a bit of what it is like behind the scenes.  It takes me 18 months to put together this four day event.  My thought is one: winning souls to Jesus.  Prayer up to, during, and through the workshop is essential.  It is too big; we are far too small.

There is great fun...great fun.  Who wouldn't love to walk in my shoes to meet thousands?  The gathering is an out-of-this-world thrill of reunion, testimony, message, and worship!

It isn't all fun; but it is all meaningful.  A hand full arise year after year to scold, complain, and rebuke.  This part is very difficult for me.  The squint-eyed have a knack of inopportune timing.  They intend to slice and slay with their words.  I am an easy target; a professional wimp.

Yet, God is so marvelous that even the very area I dread the most turns into His promising "Yes"...II Cor. 1:18-20.  The "yes" is that I need the criticism.  It is important that it happen to me.  Paul tried to pray it away...three times.  Me, too.  But no, God wouldn't hear of it. 

To keep from exalting ourselves, we must have the critics oppose us.  This is a must.  When we work in tandem with God, impossible and wonderful things happen.  As with Paul is so for me, if I don't get clobbered here and there I am egotistical enough to actually begin to think I am as great as others tell me I am.

But not so.  Ironically, I don't seem to volunteer for humility.  It remains necessary for me to get bonked over the head to remind me who runs this show...and it isn't me!  It is always and only God!

There is a plus to criticism.  I'll most likely catch this week in stern and large doses.  One piece already came in the mail.  That's okay.  I is a blessing.  More will come.  It will hurt.  I will not pretend it doesn't.  But neither will I waste its value.  I must not rob the critics of their purpose.  Such will probably cause me to shed a tear in private; but I will know why such an element; it is the plus side of criticism.

Keep smiling!

5 comments:

Janice Garrison said...

Great thoughts Terry! I probably would not have looked at criticism the way you do; thanks to this article I have a whole new way to view it.

I also want to tell you what a joy it was to listen to you and visit with you this morning. You blessed me and encouraged me with God’s word and I’m sure too that Memorial Dr. was blessed with Russell’s lesson.

At first I tend to think it strange to have such a bond of friendship with you when I just met you for the first time last year, yet seeing you again today I felt the same bond. Then I remember the song “Blest Be the Tie That Binds Our Hearts in Christian Love.”

You bless so many with your lessons and I thank you!

I pray God continues to bless you in your life and your work.

I look forward to seeing you at the Tulsa Workshop!

Franklin Wood said...

Terry, I am terrible with criticism as well. I have terribly sensitive "skin" and tend to take everything personally.
Ran across a passage in my Bible reading the other day that was encouraging. You've probably read it: 2 Kings 16:5-14.
Read it and look how David reacted to a critic. Usually David was the first to be "up in arms" when challenged, but not this time.
Hang in there. Listen more to the encouragers. Enjoy the workshop!

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

they criticized Moses even as he was delivering the message of deliverance!! (Ex 5.21).

I have no doubt that God is blessing and will continue to bless this good work.

Greg England said...

The good Lord knows I got my share of criticism, but not on the national level that you get it. But I've always heard there is much to be said about the quality of a man by looking at his enemies. Your enemies validate the good God is doing through you. As always, thanks for the encouraging words, Terry. I wish I could make another trip to the workshop, but will be praying for you all.

After six years and 1,277 blogs, I wrote my last on on Saturday, my 58th birthday.

Franklin Wood said...

SORRY! That scripture reference was supposed to be 2 SAMUEL 16:5-14!