Monday, February 22, 2010

WHY "NEW" FASCINATES

New day. New hope. New job. New car. New house. New coat. New. We love new.

Why is that? Don't you know? It is God; it is the very nature of God. He is the Creator. Don't you get it? Creators create what? New. Come see the new creation; whether it be sculpture or menu or Lego design.

The Word says we are a NEW creation. It also vows we are NEW everyday. New coordinates and parallels.....God.

Leadership will be on the cutting edge of God-stuff when it is sought in the realm of the new. Henri Nouwen said, "Christian leadership is a dead-end street when nothing new is expected, when everything sounds familiar and when ministry has regressed to the level of routine. Many have walked into that dead-end street and found themselves imprisoned in a life where all the words were already spoken, all events had already taken place, and all the people had already been met."

What I look for in sermon preparation week by week is what God is saying which is new to my heart. Not that I didn't know the fundamental truth beforehand, but what does He say to me I didn't quite see that way before? Every week He affords me a hint of something new in His Word. I have years and years of it yet to learn. And when I see something new to me....it seems to cause the light to go on in others.

New....it will always fascinate because it is the nature of God.

No comments: