Thursday, October 08, 2009

WHAT MAKES A GOOD PREACHER?

Ah. Who's been waiting for this....other than elders?

I'm not a good judge on this one, but it is worth addressing. I try to evaluate myself. Tenure isn't the mark. Delivery skill isn't. Bible knowledge? Social prowess? None of these are the big markers.

I would look at Rick Atchley, Mike Cope, Randy Harris-type men. These, and many others, possess a Spirit about them that are not from earth. This Spirit fills them with a love for God, a compassion for all, and a courage which causes them to be dependent upon no one.

What makes a good preacher? I don't think it's his skill. I think it's his gift. God pours himself into our men if our men will allow. A good preacher doesn't feel compelled to be slick in delivery nor lean toward the need to entertain. He is sure about one major item....Jesus of Nazareth.

But who can stand the test of the famous ones listed above? We can. They are where they are because of their deeply embedded humility as much as anything. Therefore, I salute the Larry Wishards and the Jackie Chestnutts and the Bob Herndons and the Gayle Thorntons of our era. Men like these may not do the keynotes at our university lectureships, but they've inspired the brotherhood for several generations without complaint....well with little complaint, anyway.

What makes a good preacher? I imagine God. Period

1 comment:

Jack said...

Terry,
You have touched my heart in this as I have struggled all my life with my biggest problem....ME. Can't blame brethren, certainly could never blame God, can't blame anyone, just me. Sin has really done a job on me, but Jesus has done an even bigger job with His wonderful grace and forgiveness. I am so grateful to Him. Now all I want is for him to use me. To say preaching is my life, well I am thinking that is changing. Jesus is my life, now if He will use me , it's more than ok with me, it is overwhelming.
What makes a preacher... I think you are right.... it's not "what" it is Who. The 'Who' is Jesus Himself, through His Holy Spirit. Yielding to Him, and letting Him mold and make you, is the greatest privalege.
I am getting up in years now, and I used to think I had all the answers... Now I know two things, "I am a great sinner, and God is a great Savior." Approach the pulpit with this in mind, and let Him speak to His people through you.
Love's prayers,
Jack Exum Jr.