Friday, October 30, 2009

THE SOLUTION TO BEING STUCK

In my earlier years of ministry, I had a significant philosophical problem. Because of it I didn't shine for Jesus; but rather glared for me. I would become stuck.

If plans failed, I would be stuck in misery. If some spoke harshly to me; I would burrow into the safety of depression while rehearsing in my head their words coupled with their facial expressions. Should I encounter disappointment, I could not let it go. Rather, I replayed it with microscopic analysis.

I was dejected and my days were dismal. That affords little room for effective leadership, would you guess?

By His grace I began to learn how to turn those muddy waters into valuable assets. Give me one guess as to why you think I am so devoted to encouraging everyone I can? Would it be because I have a clue as to the height, depth, and width of great need for building people up? Is it any wonder God points out the reason for gathering is to BUILD ONE ANOTHER UP UNTO LOVE AND GOOD DEEDS?

So the solution to becoming unstuck is what? Bury the trash. Get rid of it. Go to your mind and note all of the junk you seem to focus upon and immediately hit "Delete". Let it go. Don't carry it around with you. Don't ponder how to get even or how to explain your side or how to manipulate others to come around. Drop it. Let it go.

To get out of being stuck, one would need to do what. MOVE ON. So? MOVE ON. Let the garbage go. Fill up your mind with all the good things going right in life. Philippians 4:4-8....is the perfect guide to move on. Do it.

5 comments:

jason reeves said...

Terry,

You help to get me un-stuck all the time.

Glory to God!

Jason

Unknown said...

Wouldn't it be great if when others rehearsed OUR words in their heads coupled with OUR facial expressions, it would be exhilarating rather than depressing? I thank God for your early years of struggle...it made you who you are today. My very good friend.

I love you today!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Rush, thank you so much for this encouragement today. This has a been a past struggle of mine, that periodically pops up on occasion still. Great thoughts!

Anonymous said...

I heard your friend Chuck Swindoll say today that those of us who are a little thin-skinned (and most of us are) should ask God for a new layer of skin! How huge is the jail cell I've lived in emotionally many times due to this struggle. I'm learning little by little that God holds the key to get out! Thanks for your encouragement.
Jay

Brian's Bibilcial Minute said...

Terry,

I read this post early and it has stayed with me throughout the day. I find this post the most difficult to do. It is hard. Ministry can be so lonely and heartbreaking. However, there is so much reward. Thank you for the encouragement. God is using you to mentor thousands upon thousands!