Sunday, September 20, 2009

HAVE WE BECOME SO BLIND WE HAVE GONE DEAF?

A remnant of God's children have become so blind it cannot hear the Word. It just can't.

Another blogger was bantering for "going by the Bible...and the Bible only"; only and specifically what the Bible said. The writer's motives seem pure and his desire to follow scripture is correct for all of us.

But in one part of his complaint he wrote the Bible says: Bible: Sing (exclusive of mechanical instruments-Ephesians 5:19; Colossians 3:16)-Some have added to His command by handclapping, humming, and using mechanical instruments

Really? Would this one perhaps have added to the Word from songbooks, in a church building, with a songleader waving his hand in 3-4 cadence that the Bible never authorized? Why can't we let the Bible say what is says; sing? Why the adding of parenthetical phrases and additional sentences to explain what God meant when He said sing?

Why is that? I think it is because we have gone so blind we can't hear. I'm not arguing for instrumental music. I'm arguing against this continual pattern of saying we go by the Word and then add to it in our very defense of complaining that others add to it. We are so blind we've gone deaf.

I get this man's position. I held it for as long as I could and was ashamed of myself when I let it go. I felt guilty. But one thing forced me to change my mind; the Word of God. I had so many parenthetical phrases and additional sentences to explain what God "clearly had not said but I wanted Him to say it".

The Bible isn't an old musty coat, folks. It is the Living Word of God. It doesn't need our help. It isn't crippled. It can stand up for itself. It needs neither our understanding of the Greek nor the fascinating opinions of any of us. It is pretty clear about enough things to lead us to Jesus. He alone will lead us to the Father.

I would encourage us to do what we can in prayer to keep the eyes of our hearts open that we might avoid going deaf to the Word calling us to a stronger discipleship.

4 comments:

Freeman said...

At some point I realized that I was not defending what the Bible said but what I interpreted it to say. When people talk like the person you are describing, they are really only defending their interpretation; not Scripture. Thanks for the post.

Donna G said...

Great thoughts...

We really think sometimes that the Word of God needs our help...how sad are we?

Unknown said...

It's funny how some people put a grand pause after "singing" in Ephesians 5:19, separating it from "and making melody in your heart to the Lord". If I said I was eating and drinking in the dining room, I don't think people would interpret that to mean I was only drinking it the dining room but eating somewhere else. Both the singing and the melody must be from the heart. If our heart isn't in it we might as well be silent.

Anonymous said...

Great point by Ryan about singing in our hearts. We often forget the most important bodily organ in worship - the heart. We get other things about it "right/correct", but forget to actually worship in our heart to THE God.

And, Terry, on the note about not adding to the Word and therefore, what about our song books, etc...my wife and I have often pointed out..if we really wanted to "do church" like the first century church, we would be meeting in homes, would we not? Aren't we adding to the Word by building and meeting in churches; having paid ministers of all kinds; etc? As you said, I REALLY appreciate the desire to study and go by God's word, as I think many fail in that. But, we also have to be honest with ourselves.

Jay