Saturday, September 12, 2009

FELLOWSHIP OF THE SPIRIT

The Holy Spirit isn't a hoodlum. He doesn't live in dark basements thrashing for air. He is to be our friend, our support, our Jesus presence in everyday life.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all. II Cor. 13:14

Therefore if there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion....Phil. 2:1

How is it exactly we are to obey or at least respond to this? If we are to fellowship the Spirit, what might that entail? Is it hocus-pocus as those who quench Him believe? Or, is there something to this which a believer might need to probe? I believe it is the latter.

First, to fellowship means to engage interactively; have a relationship. This immediately poses a problem to we flesh-oriented disciples. Invisible attributes tend to not mean as much as flesh to flesh conversations and dialog.

Second, to fellowship with the Spirit means to carry on dialog with the Spirit of Christ...the invisible realm contacting the visible. So how does this go? I can only share what frailty I experience at the moment.

I have learned over time that when I awaken in the night it isn't because I can't sleep. It is because God desires fellowship time. I've been with Him for about an hour and a half early this morning. It is a joy.

What goes on? I learn. He speaks to me and the only way I know how, descriptively, is to say "ideas occur". Couldn't that happen without God? Yes, and they do. But when God speaks it is usually ideas I wouldn't have considered on my own.

Can I give a book, chapter, and verse for this? Yes, James 3:13-18 speaks of wisdom coming down from above. Earlier in that book James urged that if we lack wisdom, ask for it. When we ask we can expect it to come down...from above. Wisdom from above does not arise from fleshly assertion.

What does He say? We volley back and forth ideas and concepts. This morning He was giving me two ideas: (1) this blog article, and (2) ideas for the workshop.

How do I know it was Him? He said He would send wisdom in. He has great desire to fellowship us. We regard that as Sunday Schoolish and move on to "actual" fellowship moments where there is food and people and time. He clearly yearns for us to walk with Him, talk with Him, admire Him, and worship Him. He clearly calls for us to relate to Him; that's why He created us.

To the fleshy person this is all hog-wash. I get that. I've said that. But the Holy Spirit-inspired Word says the fleshly man can't understand the things of the Spirit......I Cor. 2:14. Therefore, accusations against such has zero bearing on its truth.

How can we be sure what we think we hear from God is from God? We watch for fruit. We have a way of measurement. The Word makes it clear. The fruit of the Spirit is continually arising from the messages given by the Spirit.

Therefore, we don't need to become defensive nor testy when challenged to the validity of this concept of fellowship of the Spirit. It is backed by two things: (1) His Word, and (2) His results.

But let's say you don't believe this at all. You have that freedom. Furthermore you might be right. Then the question would be volleyed, When you obey the two passages above, how does your fellowship with the Spirit go? I would hope very well.

Blessings as we find room and excuse to fellowship one another because we meet in fellowship of the Spirit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This has been my experience with Him as well.
Love
Larry