Wednesday, September 23, 2009

BE CAREFUL WITH OUR STANCES

You all say nice things to me on this blog.....most of you, anyway. When it comes to my boldness, or whatever, I must encourage you that we are all learners in this together. I'm not sure how I sound to various readers. I try to be forthright, but not authoritative. I will always be in kindergarten with so much to learn.

It is important that we weigh kingdom scenarios as well as doctrine. Doctrine is essential. The right one leads to life; the wrong one---even if it sounds good---will eventually kill; usually through stagnation.

I am concerned for the church. Not a week passes but what I don't get a call or an email from a man or woman heart-broken over the neutralization of the church via fear. The struggle is epidemic. Leaders are frozen in Sunday morning pattern with little regard for individual life. The leaves are turning brown; but the leadership feels that as long as they assembled and didn't do anything wrong....hey, we must be the true church.

A solution is a combination of faith in, love of, and prayer to Christ. We do not (cannot) accept death around us by positively calling it life. We will not give up on God or our friends. Neither of the two gave up on us. This is a major struggle, though, and it will take resurrection-power nature to restore wilting souls.

We can do it. I've recently read negative, condescending accounts of Bible stances that are so sad....yet they perfectly reflect what I believed and said up to the mid-80s. What happened? Jesus wrecked my religious---all my answers aligned---duck row. He sat down right in the middle of doctrine, method, and friendships....and wrecked many.

Jesus does not match our need-to-control religion. He calls each to a personal heartbeat for the poor and the lonely. It is easy to hold doctrinal positions. It is a whole new world to let a homeless person spend the night on your couch.

Be careful with our stances. Standing boldly isn't the clarion call. Standing beside the forgotten is. Ah, that Good Samaritan....he keeps us on track better than most, huh?

2 comments:

Brenda said...

I am still such a new learner too! I've been retained in Kindergarten for many years now:o) But it means so much for me to dive into the word and understand what it is that God is trying to communicate to me.
However, I am one that is afraid to stand up boldy against others who tend to "sound" more biblically intellectual than I am. It's not that I don't have beliefs, but those that yell louder....win. But I can say that in all of the discussions I've been reading I've learned so much. I'm enjoying it, and hopefully will be able to insert some thoughts every now and then. For now, I sit and watch and wait for God to give me the clarity in my heart for my own opinions.
But....keep it up! Loving the kingdom stuff!

Stoogelover said...

"We do not (cannot) accept death around us by positively calling it life."

That's a powerful statement, Terry, and so descriptive of the reality of so much we call church life.

So many times since I resigned from preaching you've written things here that I wish I'd had the maturity to know during those preaching years! I know you are encouraging many younger men and women in ministry. You're still encouraging me as the work we do (family owned / operated funeral home) is cutting edge ministry.