Thursday, August 27, 2009

DO YOU KNOW WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT POLITICS?

The thing that bugs me about politics and the media coverage(ers) of it is the very thing I don't like about my past work in the pulpit; it rages with harshness.

I was taught (by example) that harshness and rudeness was a sign of power-preaching. I put people in their place because it was a sign I "stood for something". Cowards didn't stand for anything...and I was not going to be a coward!

Oh how I don't blame any who would not walk across the street to hear me preach. I whipped, blistered, screamed, and pounded....with great pride in my "stances". Call me ignorant, but don't call me coward.

But.....Jesus broke me. He showed me myself. I turned out to be a goof-ball bully. I had been bullied and I bullied back....and it felt....strong. I was no different than those I opposed.

But the Holy Spirit doesn't bear that kind of fruit. He just doesn't. It is a curious thing that the topic "Holy Spirit" causes the crowd to panic. The crowd wishes to run from the very thing we really need...more patience, more kindness, more gentleness.

How could I have borne the fruit of the Spirit? I didn't even believe in Him. Yet when He came in, the dark sternness and anger began to subside. I began to want to listen more than shout. I became a new man.

Politics? It is getting ruder and louder and, from experience, I know it will not bear our nation rock-solid health. Shouting matches will not give life to the populace....ever.

2 comments:

Terry Laudett said...

Every once in a while, I see a strong, godly, gentle, and kind politician; and I'm impressed. I hope God gives us more of them.

Tammy said...

I love what the Spirit is doing! Oh, how much I am learning...not only from circumstances around me but from every sermon, prayer, glance, hug from you. My prayer (desire!) is to grow into all those kind and gentle Spirit fruit you talk about. He is amazing! And He is amazing in you! I love you!!!