Monday, April 27, 2009

PEPPERDINE BOUND...AND I'M PUMPED

Dear Readers,

Uh, I'm not sure but I may have arrived. You see I received a very special award from Jerry Rushford at last year's Pepperdine Lectures. Being me, I told my 10:00 a.m. class on Friday that I had to leave immediately after class to receive my Honorary PhD from Jerry at the 11:00 o'clock hour. (I knew I was only to have the opening prayer but.....well maybe I embellished it a bit?)

When I got the the 11:00 keynote Jerry presented me with such an honoring award. Upon receiving it in shock, I told the entire audience (laughing of course) that I thought I was receiving my Honorary PhD. Darryl Tippens commented immediately following my comments that if I wanted such an honorary degree I was to see him; not Jerry Rushford, that Rushford only directed the lectures.

Well...THIS WEEK...I received a letter from Pepperdine. The envelope is addressed to "Dr. Terry Rush".

I take this as an omen. Although the contents of the letter don't need to be discussed here (okay, it had my housing assignment), I must say I believe I am in for some sort of surprise honor next week. I want all of my friends (both of you) to hang around because I feel certain Jerry Rushford or Darryl Tippens has something special they want to present me.

Now I'm trying to decide what to wear, where to sit, and whether to have a press conference afterward.

Sincerely,
Dr. Rush

8 comments:

jackie chesnutt said...

I think the "Dr." came about when they heard you had diagnosed Dusty with a sore throat and suggested a pack of Hall's. By the time the story got all the way to California, it lost something in translation!

Congratulations, my friend. You are very deserving of the invite. I love you.

Anonymous said...

I'll be going too for the first time.

See you there! :)

drjimwhite said...

Since we didn't connect at Tulsa, perhaps we can at Pepperdine! Look forward to seeing you there.

Anonymous said...

What to wear? That's easy...wear a cap and gown. It's the only way to go to receive something like this. And, if you are wrong in your assumption, it will make the story even funnier when you tell it later.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Matt - cap and gown is totally appropriate.

phil said...

perhaps you should wear a pepperdine jersey with the name "DR.Rush" on the back!

Linda L said...

Can I have your autograph, Dr. Rush?

Stoogelover said...

After 20 years of attending Pepperdine, I sure miss being there to see friends. I hope you get that degree. And I hope they make a big presentation about it.