Thursday, March 05, 2009

HAVE YOU EVER PLAYED ROOK?

Good leaders finish last....and this isn't a problem to a good leader. Good leaders know they are least. Much of our struggle arises because we read the text questioning who is the greatest, but continue to take on an assumption "I am". But, if God is the "I am", then "I am not". Nothing works the kingdom life peacefully when reversing this order.

I get my most done being my most nothing because I am nothing best. I am an expert at nothingness! Weakness is my trump card? Any of you ever played Rook? Rook wins! It takes all the other cards. Weakness is the Christian's Rook card. Least is another Rook card. Decrease is yet another.

What I like about the truths above is they defy conventional wisdom. How fun to be permissibly defiant about anything! The Bible is clear. God fools the wise. What will work is not what the wise assume. God is the brilliance in all of this.

Therefore regarding your work, don't short-sheet His work by your efforts to become more than you are. John the Baptist did a mighty deed when he stepped back in order for Jesus to step up. Apply your faith; not your importance. Trust your God; not your skill. Believe God.

Your strengths are never strong....not ever. So don't try....don't wish. Capitalize on His promise. He will do more with, in, and through us than we can ever imagine if we will submit ourselves more than we submit our plans.

2 comments:

Kentucky Dave said...

ROOK! Wow, the memories. I grew up in Southern Kentucky and my Dad owned a country general store with a post office in the back. Nail kegs, hoop cheese, cedar whittling, etc. All winter folks would play Rook behind the Warm Morning coal stove. Competition was fearce and sometimes the language was not very edifying. Why not include a Rook session at the Workshop. That outa separate the progressives from the conservatives!

Dr. Roger D. Butner said...

I grew up with Rook as our primary family game. Great analogy. The ultimate trump card! And it can be so jarring to realize the the ultimate trump cards of the Way of Christ run completely counter to our human desire for power and domination.