Wednesday, March 18, 2009

GETTING RIGHT WITH GOD

I just know we are going to sing "that" song next week at the workshop. We do every year. Every year I sing it. Every year I don't like it. The song, Get Right Church, is my least favorite. Oh, I endure it the way some endure my preaching, but I wish we wouldn't sing it.

The reason? Too many try to get right with God. We can't. He makes us right. II Cor. 5:21, He made him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf that we might become the righteousness of God. We are right with God, never because we get right, but because Jesus became wrong on the cross. God traded right Jesus for wrong Terry and made the trade complete once for all.

Maybe four years ago Hombre Liggett wrote, We must not make the mistake of trying to develop our lives into a condition that we feel is worthy of approaching God. There is no such condition.....We are not trying to change ourselves in order to come into God's presence, but by the blood of Christ we should come into God's presence in order to be changed.

Oh we'll sing Get Right Church, I bet. And, I'll survive.....really. I make a bigger deal out of that song than necessary. Matters could be worse. I just want to encourage the world the way to be right with God is through Jesus' work and not our own. Too many Christians live depressed lives because they are trying to save themselves....something only Jesus can do.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terry, great post. There is only one way to "get right". I also agree with you in your opinion of the song....painful.

Shawn M

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post. I have the same reaction to "Hard Fighting Soldier," particularly that line "you gotta walk right and talk right and pray right and sing right on the battlefield."

John J

Terry Laudett said...

I always thought the song was about repentance.

Pat Thacker said...

I enjoyed your post and such a needed one,if we really understand who we are in Christ we would cause less pain for others telling them just make up your mind you can do it,which is a lie! Not one person has done anything because "they" made up their minds-no- every good & perfect gift,gift comes from God,we of ourselves can do nothing! But to many Christians put "Heavy Burdens" on others with wrong teaching and because they don't fully understand who they are in Christ. I totally enjoyed your post Jesus has done it "All" and he alone will bring about all the needed changes!
Love in Christ Pat

Monk-in-Training said...

Interestingly enough, through out the Scriptures, it is God pursuing and coming to heal humanity, not the other way around.

Nothing we can do, only His Grace.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you about the song, always "endured" it (although I agree with poster-Terry that it's more about repentance, which IS up to me). I just can't stand the lyrics....I mean, "Back, back train"??!!? Always felt my face get a little red from embarassment as I sung...