Tuesday, January 13, 2009

OUR GOD....HOW AMAZING

Our God is an awesome God. One could break out into song over it. I've had a day where His workings connected or overlapped in ways which I guard in my heart as kingdom treasure.

My last thing today was to visit Mary moments ago in the hospital. Mary is fairly new at Memorial. A couple met her at the food pantry one Tuesday evening months ago. They began bringing her to church on Sundays and it wasn't long until David baptized her into Christ.

This lady could be classed as poor as far as material wealth is measured. But I visited a saint this afternoon. There she was sitting on the edge of her hospital bed; hair a mess and all teeth missing....delightfully happy. Mary lives with gratitude.

She began telling me about the first time she became homeless. She shared her gratitude for Todd Box of the Contact church who gave her great encouragement. When I prayed with her I mentioned to God that we owe Him for all He does for us day by day.

When I ended the prayer Mary said, That's right! We owe Jesus everything. There ain't a day goes by but what we don't owe him everything. There was something about that toothless statement which was perfectly powerful. What a picture of a poor lady sitting in satisfactory gratitude over Jesus. She is rich.....and, for one, I know it.

This is ministry at its meaningful delight, I think.

1 comment:

Terry Laudett said...

I love when you tell these kinds of stories! This is the type of stuff that keeps me encouraged.

Also, thanks for mentioning Todd's role. Every time I have tried to help someone with a drug or alcohol addiction, he has been more than willing to help. He is a great asset to us.

Thanks for sharing!