Monday, January 19, 2009

NOT EVERYTHING IS FUNNY

I like comedy. Funny slants on life in general strike a good chord with many. But some things aren't funny; especially slavery. Today is Martin Luther King Day. It reminds me of God's work. Stories like Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King stir my heart.

Today I reflect on my good friend, African-Amercian, Curt Flood. This St. Louis Cardinal center-fielder of the 1960s was my boyhood idol. During my tenure Curt and I became as brothers until his death about ten years ago. Curt, you might recall, refused to be traded from the Cardinals to the Phillies as he regarded such a move as the sentiment of slavery.

In 1985 Curt and I had been in Cardinal camp together; he as one of the former pros and me as a fat old man not good enough to be a professional ballplayer. The week of camp was over and I had boarded the plane for Atlanta headed eventually for Tulsa. Curt walked onto the the plane.

During the flight I approached his seat and the person next to him offered to trade me places. I was delighted. I had something on my heart. I wanted to talk to Curt about slavery. He had endured much of the racial bias during the 40s, 50s, and 60s. I told him I wanted to know about it because I was concerned about the slavery going on in churches. He said he sensed such from me and we built a brotherly relationship that concluded with me participating at his funeral. I sat on stage in a huge church in Los Angeles with ten black men. Jesse Jackson sat three to my left.

Some things aren't funny. Slavery in the church is the lowest. Where the blacks had to deal with "Whites" and "Coloreds" at every turn, some believers have to deal with "No Clapping" "No raising of hands" type of imprisoning doctrine. While on the surface this seems anemic enough, the insistence in the church that this is illegal and is breaking the law, the results of such trivial stances build cases for the killing of the spirit which violates God's will.

I've laughed at many things. But one thing which will go forgotten or unnoticed is how many bullies I have had to battle in the name of freedom for the children as well as the unchurched in our midst. Legalism isn't funny. It is unholy, ungodly, and unbelievably stifling. It kills hope and life and great dreams.

For each of us, may we learn to enjoy the love and glory God places in our paths. May we realize that in our profession of faith, slavery doesn't belong to blacks....or whites. Jesus died to set us free. He meant it. For any band of leaders to curb the spirit of a faithful people out of bias and fear has simply over-stated their importance and over-stepped their bounds.

Praise be to God for those soldiers among us who will not let the blood of the cross be buried amidst the rubble of fearful and imposing slavery. We will not stand for it.....ever!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post. Sadly women are enslaved in far too many churches still. We will lose our children from the church unless we address this! And the issue is going to affect our evangelism more and more.