There are some men out there who aren't preaching who should. You might be one of them. Maybe a friend or relative will pass this on to you. Good for you! But, how does one decide?
I address this from experience; not from rule of law. Use what you can.
- I would urge those who hunger to preach to do it. Talent isn't the issue. Education isn't. That will come in time. Talented and being educated does not determine an effective man in the pulpit. I would inquire of your "want to" level? If you can't do anything else because your heart must preach....then preach. The skill and effectiveness will develop by His rich grace.
- I would encourage you to trust God when you can't figure the how and the where of launching into preaching. God knows how to get you where He needs you. Trust Him.
- I want you to know that preaching is the most wonderful work in the world. It isn't the only work. It isn't the only important work. It is a brilliantly spectacular work and I highly recommend it.
- I lead you to realize that to get to do this job you will have to be slain day after day by insult and stress. This is a very important part of the package. Some will feel it there calling to bleed you of confidence. Such will only drive you to trust God more! Do it.
Why shouldn't you preach? This is equally important to consider.
- Don't do it to become famous. Jesus is the only one famous...without exception. That is a rule.
- Don't do it for money. You'll never have it if such is your motive. Stop now!
- Don't do it because you can't do anything else. Hear the call of God or don't start.
- Don't do it if you think the hours are easy and the load is light. The job will break your heart as you will cry buckets of tears before it is over.
Preaching is an unfathomably wonderful experience. It contains heartbreak, heartache, and heartthrill moment by moment. Seeing hurting people get well is a fabulous move of the Great Doctor. To be the Physician's assistance is what preaching is all about.
I say you'll love it!