Monday, October 06, 2008

ALL OF US ARE WRONG IN PLACES.....SO RELAX

Ah, today I received another brotherhood quarterly railing against those of us who teach the biblical doctrine of the Holy Spirit working directly in a believer's life. It's frustrating. I've had dialog with this particular writer. While he steadfastly holds up the Word, he just as steadfastly denies any who interpret the Word differently than he. He assumes any who don't agree with his interpretation simply don't go by the Bible. Regardless of how I assure him I base my faith in the operation of the Holy Spirit to be based on the scriptures the Holy Spirit inspired, he will not accept it.

In his writings are several digs, insults, and misrepresentations. If not careful this can get under our skin. However, if the Holy Spirit is operating in our lives one of the things God insists He does from within us is bear His fruit. Allow Him to do so we must; especially in potentially pressing and irritating situations.

Therefore, we must relax. The writer who opposes my stance is just as weak as I am. He may be better versed in some scriptures. He most likely is more experienced in study and is certainly more extensively traveled. However, he is only a man who is quite capable of error as am I. My role is not to fight with his debate; but rather continue to study and believe the Living God as far as my understanding and conscience will extend. The Truth is to be known and we know no infallible teacher. He and I surely have valuable content to present. Each of us surely has taught mistaken concepts and found good reason to adjust.

Whether you are insulted or attacked, don't flinch. Don't rush to war. Don't even break a sweat. Go back to the Bible. If it still says what you thought it did, keep on believing it. If you realize you need to make adjustment, do so. But don't panic because a brother barks at you. He, too, has enough flaws to be railed against. You just don't happen to write a quarterly. Just relax. Love those who love you and love those who insist on pressing. God still owns the vineyard.

10 comments:

Mike Morton said...

I don't know Terry. I would think that if someone doesn't believe that the Holy Spirit is working in/thru us, that he DOESN'T read the Bible. I've had way too many things happen in my life convince me that the HS does work in me/thru me to deny that concept.

On a "baseball note"... I guess you and me will be sitting this series out (Cardinals and Mets both out). Who are you going to pull for? As much as I hated the Dodgers in the 80's, I think that I'm pulling for them just for Joe Torre, so that he has something to show good 'ol George.

Terry Rush said...

Mike,

At the beginning of the playoffs I picked the Dodgers against the Rays. Could be....but a ways to go, huh?

I'm rooting for the Dodgers. It would be fun to see Manny Ramirez play against the Red Sox as well.

Anonymous said...

Terry,
Just today someone quoted a commentator from our fellowship and said the Holy Spirit must fit into this particular logical, reasonable pattern that I can understand. I asked her to re-read John 3.3-5 and notice that the Holy Spirit is God and blows where He wills. He is not limited to fit into our fellowship's boxes. He communicates in nature and our experience of nature as well as of course His breathing of Scripture. But we don't tell Him where to go. He tells us where to go it seems to me.
Larry Wishard
Denver

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I was indwelt by an UNHOLY SPIRIT for part of my ministry. Amazing the spiritual hernias a person can get thinking he must carry loads of life and ministry in a way that will produce love, joy, peace, patience, kindness.

Anonymous said...

Terry,

Do we have an obligation to say something? No we shouldn't feel bad, get mad or get angry but if we love our brother do we not need to show the scriptures to them?

Terry Rush said...

NewHeights,

Your point is well taken. My point of this blog is simply to get encourage those who would be tempted to panic or at least to be flustered to calm down.

Should we answer critics? Sometimes, but not always. In the case of this particular reference, I have communicated many times and did so yet again. The difference evolving over the years for me is to be able to respond with a peace in my heart understanding neither he nor I are ideal in our particular belief arrangement. And....I don't have to answer him at every turn because my response has been sufficiently clear.

Anonymous said...

I think I know who you're talking about.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on progressive revelation sometime. I know Edward Fudge stirred a few people up after the last workshop with some of his comments and I read a couple of articles where he'd been written up.

I think the traditional view is bad theology (well, more like I know it is).

Just curious what you think about it.

Keith Roberts said...

Terry,

When you were here for our Prayer Workshop, you stirred my desire to study the Holy Spirit and His work again.

I've recently been impressed when restudying Galatians 3:1-5.

In part, Paul says, "After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain you goal by human effort?" (NIV)

Amazing. Is that where we are as the Restoration Movement today? The church began as a Holy Spirit movement, but we seem to be stuck on head knowledge, on human effort ("the flesh").

Make sense?

Anonymous said...

Ok, just to clarify I think I mixed my terms up.

When I said I was curious what you thought about "progressive revelation," I was referring to dreams and visions as mentioned in Joel 2 and Acts 2, and that's what I believe the traditional CoC stance has been wrong about.

I did a search on Google for 'progressive revelation' and found it to mean something totally different than what I thought it was.

Sorry for the confusion.

Anonymous said...

Dear Terry,
I know that minstry was empty before I learned to trust the leading of the Holy Spirit. Now Ministry is great and I know that to quote a very smart guy I can have a good day when I am having a bad day!
God bless
the redneckpreacherman