Thursday, September 18, 2008

90% DUD

Ever wish you were more? Me, too.

We spend a lot of our time dodging incoming insults at how foolish we are while trying to make sufficient strides of significant improvement in and for mankind. We desperately try to make meaningful progress while; simultaneously, we run straight into our own miserable lack. Odd, we all are, at how many extremes we each possess all by ourselves.

I've watched us. We are weird. Here's what I've concluded about the generality of all mankind: we each are about 10% brilliant and about 90% dud. Now, I really believe the 10% may be bragging somewhat. The real figure may be lower than 1%, but I use the 10% simply for illustration.

The truth is God expressly pointed out in I Corinthian 1:20-31 that He does not select the mighty, and the sharp, and the intelligent, but rather those at the other end of the chart. We each are chosen to receive Holy Spirit gifts and then teaches that such composition comprises the body as a whole. We are gifted as an arm; but quite lousy as an eye. Or, we are gifted as a toe which is a huge failure of an excuse for an ear. Our problem is when we become so enamoured with our calling we develop a criticism for others not quite as sharp as we are.

Mistake. Big mistake.

Everyone is important, I'm saying. But no one is independently useful without the rest of us. So, dear one, if for any reason you have been feeling a tad bit grateful in being glad you aren't like the rest of us, you need to know something: you are exactly like the rest of us. We are all alike. Every person we know (celebrity or pauper) is 10% marvel and 90% dud.

This truth leads us to see the value of being a team; Christ's literal body still on earth. An ear with excellent hearing is useless if laying by itself on the sidewalk. But if you give it a head to attach it to, a torso to set the head on, legs to take the body places, and arms and hands to wash it, then the other 90% of the gifted ones makes the ear able to fulfill it's important role.

May we work with each other instead of against. Alone we are arrogant duds. Together we are inter-dependently the body of Christ.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Terry! This is my song! Wishing I was more! So much more than I am.
I don't dodge insults, but look for affirmation to cover up those insults that do come my way.
I see the insults all the time. Not just in my field, but in others as well. People are striving so hard to be perfectionish and make everyone else happy, that they miss the point. Nobody has ANY calling perfect!!!
If I want to make a difference in someonese life....then that has to be about them and not about me. But on the other hand, I have this problem of putting others on a pedastal. NOT IDOLS just to be clear...but thought of those who are better than me....moms, wives, daughters, sisters, nurses, bankers, cooks, singers, and friends.
So many times I think that if I could think of myself (the dud) as high as I put all those listed above (the brilliant) then there would be no problems.
Wrong...there would be, but we would work them together....together in Christ.

Love you!

Donna G said...

I guess every once in awhile we all need knocking off our "high-horse"

Your friend...the dud!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I apologize for my comment which you deleted. I had not had enough coffee and tried to be too cute with my wording. God bless you.