Friday, August 01, 2008

AN EVANGELISTIC CONCEPT

I’ve been up a long time this morning weighing and rehashing ideas God is giving me about outreach to a special group. For the past few weeks my mind keeps presenting possibilitities which might tell a special breed about the love of God. I dream about it. I have a heart for celebrities. Furthermore, God has afforded me the ability to connect. Doors seem to open. Whether sports or movie or music, meaningful relationships have built up over the last two decades. I grieve over reports of celeb troubles because many live in a hideously lonely and dark vacuum void of Christ’s light. We must try and can try to reverse this misery.

The famous have a common secret about them and I know what it is. God has blessed me to see clearly their insecurities as well as their great need for encouragement. An immediate problem exists with/for them. They must live on guard from the masses due to fans houndingly wanting something from them. Yet, these are very special, needy ones who hurt like we hurt, laugh like we laugh, and wonder like we wonder….about God.

Twenty years ago I had an idea and Memorial tried it. We took out small ads in two of Hollywood’s industry papers; Variety and The Hollywood Reporter. We offered correspondence courses. I don’t recall getting a response. Such a move wasn’t the greatest of approaches, but I couldn’t come up with a better avenue at the time. However, I did get a call from a young woman who said she could not tell me who she was but just wanted to discuss some troublesome issues. We had a counseling session over the phone.

God has put on my heart an idea to try again. We must not dismiss this elite culture as unreachable. They hurt and every discussion I have with any of them leads to areas of burden they are carrying. Therefore, I am going to pursue building a blog for celebrities called, “You’ve Got A Friend”; meaning people care and ultimately Jesus is the Friend. Then, let’s see what we can do to take out ads in these papers again. Would there be easier response due to the clickability of the computer? There is a great chance.

In weighing this idea it seems ideal in that those we desire to reach will enjoy the convenience of the computer while experiencing the luxury of privacy. Imagine where this could lead!

As you can tell, this is simply an idea in the building mode. What ideas would you add?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brother Terry, check this out and see if it might help a little.

http://www.bearit.net/GOSPEL.ppt#256,1,COME, LET US REASON TOGETHER.

Jim Cooke

That Girl said...

We always talk about helping the poor and the Bible teaches us to do that but there are those who have been greatly blessed with material things that need God, too. Those Christians who "run in" those circles have a responsibility to serve their neighbors - even though they are wealthy. I think we are missing a segment of society that needs to be reached.

It's like the guys who won't ask the pretty girl to the prom because they assume she has a date and yet, because guys are afraid to ask her - she sits at home. I don't think we should exclude the pretty people just because we think they will say "no".

Unknown said...

Obviously, many celebrities are "searching". It is apparent in the number of Hollywood Superstars who are caught up in Scientology. I think you're on to something good, Terry.

Anonymous said...

I too have thought about this very thing. I love your passion for reaching out and seeing people as Jesus saw them. Not sure if a correspondence course is the right avenue, but letting them see Jesus as the friend and ultimately letting them see Jesus in other friends like you would be huge. I would love to talk to any of them anytime, anywhere, or anyone for that matter. Look forward to watching the progress.

Lee Keele said...

Great idea Terry. I have a heart for something, too. Would you say a moment of prayer about it with me? My prayer is to reach politicians. I don't know how or what it might look like. But I believe our country needs not just a change in politics, but a change in the hearts of politicians.

lee